Carson et al. after extensive literature review have identified system based factors that explain poor as well as broad variation in postpartum GDM testing rates. The primary factor associated with higher rates was implementation of an active system-based programme designed to improve the postpartum testing rate [
]. Study by Clark et al. best explains this fact. We recently proposed that in view of the dramatic response to reminders as observed in Clark's study, they should be introduced into regular practice [
- Carson M.P.
- Frank M.I.
- Keely E.
Original research: postpartum testing rates among women with a history of gestational diabetes – systematic review.
Prim. Care Diab. 2013; 7: 177-186
]. For example, in patients with normal glucose tolerance or HbA1c, reminders can be sent every 3 years. If results fall in the pre-diabetic range, reminders could be sent annually (as per American Diabetes Association guidelines on frequency of testing).
- Gupta Y.
- Gupta A.
Post-partum screening after gestational diabetes.
Lancet Diab. Endocrinol. 2013; 1: 90-91
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Primary Care Diabetes
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Original research: postpartum testing rates among women with a history of gestational diabetes – systematic review.Prim. Care Diab. 2013; 7: 177-186
- Post-partum screening after gestational diabetes.Lancet Diab. Endocrinol. 2013; 1: 90-91
- Effectiveness of mobile phone messaging in prevention of type 2 diabetes by lifestyle modification in men in India: a prospective, parallel-group, randomised controlled trial.Lancet Diab. Endocrinol. 2013; (published online September 11)https://doi.org/10.1016/S2213-8587(13)70067-6
- Preventing Type 2 diabetes after gestational diabetes: women's experiences and implications for diabetes prevention interventions.Diab. Med. 2013; 30: 986-993
- Response to Lie et al. Preventing Type 2 diabetes after gestational diabetes: women's experiences and implications for diabetes prevention interventions.Diab. Med. 2013 August; https://doi.org/10.1111/dme.12304
- Evaluation of a self-administered oral glucose tolerance test.Diab. Care. 2013; 36: 1483-1488
Published online: November 08, 2013
Received: October 1, 2013
© 2013 Primary Care Diabetes Europe. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.