The macro- and microcirculation disease, in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM), induces ischemic wounds of the lower limbs. We have tried to reduce the aggregation of red blood cells and to improve the O2 supply to the tissues and speed the healing of ulcers in T2DM patients.
We enrolled 25 obese subjects without glucose intolerance (group A; BMI greater than 30 kg/m2), 20 obese adults intolerant to glucose (group B) and two subgroups, groups C and D, with T2DM and with leg ulcers. The groups A, B and C were treated with PESF. Body weight, O2 extraction, the capillary pulse, blood pressure and the surface of the ulcers were monitored.
The technique PESF shows to have positive effects on the metabolism, on the reduction of body weight in the groups A and B, increasing extraction of O2 in group C and increase the speed of healing of wounds in group C compared to group D. In group A, there was a significant reduction in systolic and diastolic blood pressure.
The technique PESF has affected the metabolic processes and the speed of wound healing ulcer in patients with T2DM.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Primary Care Diabetes
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Type 2 diabetes across generations: from pathophysiology to prevention and management.Lancet. 2011; 378: 169-181
- Meta-analysis of multiple primary prevention trials of cardiovascular event using aspirin.Am. J. Cardiol. 2011; 107: 1796-1801
- Prevention and management of diabetic nephropathy.Therapy in Nephrology and Hypertension. W.B. Saunders Company, 1999: 239-247
- Pathogenesis, prevention and treatment of diabetic nephropathy.Lancet. 1998; 352: 213-219
- Management of critical limb ischemia: proposal for a multidisciplinary operating network in Tuscany.Ital. J. Med. 2011; 5: 135-142
- Gruppo di Studio Interassociativo SID-AMD “Piede Diabetico”. Documento di consenso internazionale sul piede diabetico.Mediserve 2, 2006
- Kinetics of rouleaux formation using TV analyzer for human erythrocytes.Am. J. Physiol. 1983; 245: H252-H258
- Kinetics model for erythrocyte aggregation.Blood Cells Mol. Dis. 1999; 25: 339-349
- The influence of plasma membrane electrostatic properties on the stability of cell ionic composition.Biophys. J. 2001; 81: 2442-2457
- A discrete-particle model of blood dynamics in capillary vessels.J. Colloid Interface Sci. 2003; 258: 163-173
- The management of diabetic neuropathy in CKD.Am. J. Kidney Dis. 2010; 55: 365-385
- The effects of treatment with pulsating electrostatic fields on cutaneous microvascular flow motion patterns.in: Atti del 5th Conference if the European Study Group on Cardiovascular Oscillation, Parma, 7–9 April2008: 5-7
- Resting metabolic rate incremented by pulsating electrostatic field (PESF therapy).Diabetes Nutr. Metab. 2004; 17: 309-312
- Diagnosis and treatment of venous ulcers.Am. Fam. Physician. 2010; 81: 989-996
- Effects of intensive glucose lowering in type 2 diabetes.N. Engl. J. Med. 2008; 358: 2545-2559
- Multifactorial intervention and cardiovascular disease in patients with type 2 diabetes.N. Engl. J. Med. 2003; 248: 383-393
- Amino acid supplementation counteracts metabolic and functional damage in the diabetic rat heart.Am. J. Cardiol. 2008; 101: 49E-56E
- Intensive blood glucose control and vascular outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes.N. Engl. J. Med. 2008; 358: 2560-2572
- Erythrocyte membrane anionic content and urinary glycosaminoglycan excretion in type 1 diabetes: association with retinopathy.Curr. Eye Res. 2006; 31: 975-981
- La cura delle ferite sotto vuoto.in: Atti del Secondo Congresso Nazionale Co. R. TE, Roma, 27–29 Febbraio2008: 52-53
- Implementing evidence based nursing: some misconception.Evid. Based Nurs. 1998; 1: 38-39
- Piaghe da decubito.Clin. Evid. 2001; 3: 1051-1057
- Il bombardamento delle ulcere croniche.in: Atti del Secondo Congresso Nazionale Co. R. TE, Roma, 27–29 Febbraio2008: 53
- Complications and side effects of hyperbaric oxygen therapy.Aviat. Space Environ. Med. 2000; 71: 119-124
- Linee guida sulle indicazioni all’ossigenoterapia iperbarica.Med. Subacquea Iperbarica. 2007; 1: 24-26
- Inquadramento patogenetico dell’ulcera.Med. Subacquea Iperbarica. 2007; 1: 8-9
- Electrical signals control wound healing through phosphatidylinositol-3-OH kinase-gamma and PTEN.Nature. 2006; 442: 457-460
A. Cardani, La stimolazione midollare nel trattamento del dolore cronico non maligno. http://www.painomore.net/site/stampa.asp?id_area=3&id_rubrica=22&id_articolo=61.
Published online: January 15, 2014
Accepted: November 30, 2013
Received in revised form: November 27, 2013
Received: July 4, 2013
© 2013 Primary Care Diabetes Europe. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.