Diabetic dyslipidemia is one of important complication of type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM). Blood lipid parameters (e.g., triglyceride, TG; total cholesterol, TC; high-density lipoprotein cholesterol, HDL-C; low-density lipoprotein cholesterol, LDL-C; Atherogenic Index of Plasma defined as lg(TG/HDL-C), AIP), are important indexes in predicting risk of T2DM. This study performed comprehensive meta-analyses to evaluate the powers of these indexes, especially for AIP, on predicting risk of T2DM.
We searched PubMed Database, China National Knowledge Infrastructure (CNKI) and Wanfang Database in February 2014 to identify eligible studies. Case–control studies that have mean baseline values of AIP were included. Random-effect models were used to pool the summary standardized mean difference (SMD) in meta-analysis.
Fifteen eligible studies, with a total sample size of 4010, were included in meta-analysis. All these studies reported positive associations between AIP and T2DM. Moreover, the SMD for the AIP is 1.78 (95% confidence interval (CI): 1.04–2.52), which is higher than for other parameters (TG: 0.93, 95% CI: 0.78–1.09; TC: 0.46, 95% CI: 0.21–0.71; HDL-C: −0.89, 95% CI: −1.18 to −0.60; and LDL-C: 0.44, 95% CI: 0.11–0.77). Meta-analysis of association between BMI and T2DM gave a SMD of 0.85 (95% CI: 0.38 to 1.32).
The results suggest that lipid parameters have ability to reflect the risk of T2DM, but AIP may be more closely associated with the risk of T2DM. The current results suggest AIP may be used as a simple, easily calculated parameter in assessing the risk of T2DM.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Primary Care Diabetes
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Evaluation of association between atherogenic index of plasma and intima-media thickness of the carotid artery for subclinic atherosclerosis in patients on maintenance hemodialysis.Hemodial. Int. 2013; 17: 397-405
- Analysis on serum non-high-density lipoprotein cholesterol and atherogenic index of plasma in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus or hypertension.Chin. J. Gen. Practice. 2011; 9: 964-965
- Application of atherogenic index of plasma and serum homocysteine in type 2 diabetic's risk prediction of concurrent coronary heart disease.Int. J. Lab. Med. 2012; 33: 1934-1936
- Analysis on serum homocysteine: atherogenic index of plasma and non-HDL-C in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus complicated with cerebral infarction.J. Clin. Exp. Med. 2013; 12: 1327-1328
- Atherogenic index of plasma is associated with carotid intima-media thickness in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.Sichuan Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban. 2004; 35 (707): 696-698
- correlation analysis of atherogenic index of plasma and c-reactive protein in patients with abnormal glucose tolerance.J. Pract. Med. Techn. 2010; 17: 347-348
- Clinical analysis of atherogenic index of plasma: non-high-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels and carotid lntima-Media thickness in patients with diabetes.China Pract. Med. 2010; 5: 145-146
- Atherogenic index of plasma is associated with early vascular endothelium-dependent vasodilatation function in patients with type 2 diabetes.Chin. J. Misdiagnosis. 2010; 10: 2269-2271
- An association of hyperglycemia with plasma malondialdehyde and atherogenic lipid risk factors in newly diagnosed Type 2 diabetic patients.J. Res. Med. Sci. 2013; 18: 89-93
- Application of atherogenic index of plasma in lipid analysis.Chin. J. Lab. Diagnosis. 2007; 11: 1405-1407
- The evaluation of atherogenic index of plasma log(TG/HDL-C) as an index to the risk of atherogenicity in T2DM and IGT subjects.Chin. J. Lab. Diagnosis. 2005; 9: 748-750
- Atherogenic index of plasma and dorsalis pedis artery atherosclerosis.Clin. Med. China. 2011; 27: 273-276
- Characteristics of lipid profiles and atherogenic index of plasma in patients with newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes and effect of different short-term in tensive hypoglycemic interventions on them.Xin Yi Xue. 2010; 41: 151-156
- The change of atherogenic index of plasma (AIP) level in type 2 diabetic pedigrees and the response of AIP to Acarbose or Glimepiride in therapy of type 2 diabetes mellitus.Sheng Wu Yi Xue Gong Cheng Xue Za Zhi. 2005; 22: 560-564
- Relationship between atherogenic index of plasma and cardiovascular disease with type 2 diabetes.Chin. J. Hypertension. 2006; 14: 43-45
- Clinical significance of determination of blood non-HDL-C, bilirubin levels and atherogenic index of plasma (AIP) in patients with DM2.J. Radioimmunol. 2010; 23: 424-429
- Hyperinsulinemia hypertriglyceridemia a vicious cycle with atherogenic potential.Int. J. Obes. 1982; : 117-124
- Are hypertriglyceridemia and low HDL causal factors in the development of insulin resistance?.Atherosclerosis. 2014; 233: 130-138
- Skeletal muscle triglyceride: marker or mediator of obesity-induced insulin resistance in type 2 diabetes mellitus?.Curr. Diab. Rep. 2002; 2: 216-222
- Smaller mean LDL particle size and higher proportion of small dense LDL in Korean Type 2 diabetic patients.Diabetes Metab. J. 2011; 35: 536-542
- The new atherogenic plasma index reflects the triglyceride and HDL-cholesterol ratio, the lipoprotein particle size and the cholesterol esterification rate: changes during lipanor therapy.Vnitr Lek. 2000; 46: 152-156
- Comparison on the application value of the atherogenic index of plasma with other arteriosclerosis indexes in type 2 diabetes mellitus patients.Lab. Med. 2009; 24: 663-666
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus, pandemic in 21st century.Adv. Exp. Med. Biol. 2012; 771: 42-50
- Association of metabolic and genetic factors with cholesterol esterification rate in HDL plasma and atherogenic index of plasma in a 40 years old Slovak population.Physiol. Res. 2011; 60: 785-795
Published online: May 05, 2014
Accepted: March 26, 2014
Received in revised form: March 5, 2014
Received: December 16, 2013
© 2014 Primary Care Diabetes Europe. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.