- •Pregnancy planning and pre-pregnancy care uptake is poor among women with diabetes.
- •Poor preconception counselling is linked to poor pre-pregnancy care uptake.
- •Implementation of a preconception counselling resource improved pregnancy planning.
- •Women who engaged with the resource were better prepared for pregnancy.
- •Women with type 2 diabetes, typically cared for in primary care, are hard to reach.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Pregnancy in Women with Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes in 2002–2003,.Confidential Enquiry into Maternal and Child Health, England, Wales and Northern Ireland, London2005
- Outcomes in type 1 diabetic pregnancies: a nationwide, population-based study.Diabetes Care. 2004; 27: 2819-2823
- Risk of complications of pregnancy in women with type 1 diabetes: nationwide prospective study in the Netherlands.BMJ. 2004; 328: 915
- Obstetric and diabetic care for pregnancy in diabetic women: 10 years outcome analysis, 1985–1995.Diabet. Med. 2001; 18: 546-553
- Risks of preeclampsia and adverse neonatal outcomes among women with pregestational diabetes mellitus National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Network of Maternal–Fetal Medicine Units.Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 2000; 182: 364-369
- Poor glycated haemoglobin control and adverse pregnancy outcomes in type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus: systematic review of observational studies.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2006; 6: 30
- The relationship between pre-pregnancy care and early pregnancy loss, major congenital anomaly or perinatal death in type I diabetes mellitus.BJOG. 2007; 114: 104-107
- Effectiveness of a regional prepregnancy care program in women with type 1 and type 2 diabetes: benefits beyond glycemic control.Diabetes Care. 2010; 33: 2514-2520
- Preconception care and the risk of congenital anomalies in the offspring of women with diabetes mellitus: a meta-analysis.QJM. 2001; 94: 435-444
- Preconception care for diabetic women for improving maternal and fetal outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2010; 10: 63
National Institute for Clinical Excellence (NICE) (Great Britain): Diabetes in Pregnancy: Management from Preconception to the Postnatal Period. Available from: http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng3 (accessed 20.01.15).
- Standards of medical care in diabetes-2014.Diabetes Care. 2010; 37: S14-S80
- Preconception care in managed care: the translating research into action for diabetes study.Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 2005; 192: 227-232
- Preconception care of women attending adult general diabetes clinics – are we doing enough?.Diabetes Res. Clin. Pract. 2007; 76: 142-145
- Preconception care for women with diabetes: is it effective and who should provide it?.Best. Pract. Res. Clin. Obstet. Gynaecol. 2011; 25: 3-14
- Diabetes in Pregnancy: Are we providing the best care? Findings of a National Enquiry.CEMACH, England, Wales and Northern Ireland, London2007
- An exploration of knowledge and attitudes related to pre-pregnancy care in women with diabetes.Diabet. Med. 2010; 27: 1385-1391
- Pregnancy planning and diabetes: a qualitative exploration of women's attitudes toward preconception care.J. Midwifery Womens Health. 2012; 57: 396-402
- Women with diabetes: things you need to know (but maybe don’t!); the systematic development of an innovative DVD to raise awareness of preconception care.Eur. Diabetes Nurs. 2013; 12: 7-12
- Evaluation of a DVD for women with diabetes: impact on knowledge and attitudes to preconception care.Diabet. Med. 2012; 29: 950-956
- The expanded health belief model as a basis for enlightened preventive health care practice and research.J. Health Care Mark. 1992; 12: 32-45
Northern Ireland Statistics Agency Multiple Deprivation Measure 2010. http://www.nisra.gov.uk/deprivation/nimdm_2010.htm (accessed 21.11.13).
- Vitamins C and E for prevention of pre-eclampsia in women with type 1 diabetes (DAPIT): a randomised placebo-controlled trial.Lancet. 2010; 376: 259-266
- The impact of preconception counseling on pregnancy outcomes. The experience of the Maine Diabetes in Pregnancy Program.Diabetes Care. 1993; 16: 450-455
- Preconception counselling in women with diabetes: a population-based study in the north of England.Diabetes Care. 2010; 33: 586-588
- Randomized efficacy trial of early preconception counseling for diabetic teens (READY-girls).Diabetes Care. 2008; 31: 1327-1330
- The pregnancies of women with type 2 diabetes: poor outcomes but opportunities for improvement.Diabet. Med. 2005; 22: 1774-1777
- Integrating preconception care for women with diabetes into primary care: a qualitative study.Br. J. Gen. Pract. 2010; 60: 815-821
Women with diabetes preconception counselling resource. www.womenwithdiabetes.net (accessed 20.01.16).