- •This research utilized confidential data in the California Health Interview Survey (CHIS).
- •Perceived need is the strongest predictor of seeking help for mental health in this study.
- •Identification of factors affecting help-seeking behaviors may improve clinical outcomes.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Diabetes and depression. Global perspectives.Diabetes Res. Clin. Pract. 2010; 87: 302-312
- The prevalence of co-morbid depression in adults with type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Diabet. Med. 2006; 23: 1165-1173
- The prevalence of comorbid depression in adults with diabetes: a meta-analysis.Diabetes Care. 2001; 24: 1069-1078
- Prevalence of anxiety in adults with diabetes.J. Psychosomat. Res. 2002; 53: 1053-1060
- Prevalence and incidence of anxiety disorders in diabetic patients: a national population-based cohort study.Gen. Hosp. Psychiatry. 2011; 33: 8-15
- Association between diagnosed diabetes and serious psychological distress among U.S. adults: the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, 2007.Int. J. Public Health. 2009; 54: 43-51
- Association of depression and diabetes complications: a meta-analysis.Psychosom. Med. 2001; 63: 619-630
- The association of comorbid depression with mortality in patients with type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2005; 28: 2668-2672
- Depressive symptoms and mortality among persons with and without diabetes.Am. J. Epidemiol. 2005; 161: 652-660
- Comorbid depression and increased health care utilisation in individuals with diabetes.Gen. Hosp. Psychiatry. 2009; 31: 220-224
- Association of serious psychological distress with health services expenditures and utilization in a national sample of US adults.Gen. Hosp. Psychiatry. 2011; 33: 311-317
- Comorbid depression is associated with increased health care use and expenditures in individuals with diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2002; 25: 464-470
- Undertreatment of mental health problems in adults with diagnosed diabetes and serious psychological distress: the behavioral risk factor surveillance system, 2007.Diabetes Care. 2010; 33: 1061-1064
- Comorbid depression is associated with increased healthcare utilization and lost productivity in persons with diabetes: a large nationally representative Hungarian population survey.Psychosom. Med. 2009; 71: 501-507
- CHIS 2011–2012 Methodology Report Series: Data Collection Methods.2014 (http://healthpolicy.ucla.edu/chis/design/documents/chis2011-2012_method-1_2014-06-09.pdf (accessed 01.02.14).)
- Revisiting the behavioral model and access to medical care: does it matter.J. Health Soc. Behav. 1995; 36: 1-10
- Improving access to care in America: individual and contextual indicators.in: Davidson P.L. Changing the U.S. Health Care System: Key Issues in Health Services, Policy, and Management. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, CA2001: 3-30
- Screening for serious mental illness in the general population.Arch. Gen. Psychiatry. 2003; 60: 184-189
- Short screening scales to monitor population prevalences and trends in non-specific psychological distress.Psychol. Med. 2002; 32: 959-976
- Serious psychological distress, health risk behaviors, and diabetes care among adults with type 2 diabetes: The California Health Interview Survey 2007.Diabetes Res. Clin. Pract. 2012; 95: 406-414
- Perceived need for mental health care: influences of diagnosis, demography and disability.Psychol. Med. 2002; 32: 299-309
- Perceived need and help-seeking in adults with mood, anxiety, or substance use disorders.Arch. Gen. Psychiatry. 2002; 59: 77-84
- Removing barriers to care among persons with psychiatric symptoms.Health Aff. 2002; 21: 137-147
- Perceived need for mental health care and service use among adults in Western Europe: results of the ESEMeD Project.Psychiatric Serv. 2009; 60: 1051-1058
- Perceived need for alcohol, drug, and mental health treatment.Soc. Psychiatr. Epidemiol. 2006; 41: 480-487
- Community-based mental health service utilization among low-income Latina immigrants.Community Ment. Health J. 2009; 47: 14-23
- Impact of culture on use of Western health services by older South Asian Canadians.Can. J. Public Health. 2010; 101: 176-180
- Determining prevalence and correlates of psychiatric treatment with Andersen's behavioral model of health services use.Psychiatr. Serv. 2010; 61: 524-528
- Suicidal ideation and suicide attempts among diabetes mellitus: The Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES IV, V) from 2007 to 2012.J. Psychosom. Res. 2014; 77: 457-461
- Increased risk of suicidal ideation in Korean adults with both diabetes and depression.Diabetes Res. Clin. Pract. 2013; 101: e14-e17