- •A personalised approach for treatment targets in type 2 diabetes is proposed.
- •Personalising diabetes treatment targets should be simple and practical.
- •Our approach could lead to more cardiometabolic well-controlled patients.
- •Older patients and in those with polypharmacy could benefit most.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Combined task delegation, computerized decision support, and feedback improve cardiovascular risk for type 2 diabetic patients: a cluster randomized trial in primary care.Diabet. Care. 2008; 31: 2273-2275
- Quality of care of people with type 2 diabetes in eight European countries: findings from the Guideline Adherence to Enhance Care (GUIDANCE) study.Diabet. Care. 2013; 36: 2628-2638
- Which people with Type 2 diabetes achieve good control of intermediate outcomes? Population database study in a UK region.Diabet. Med. 2009; 26: 1269-1276
- Impact of ‘stretch’ targets for cardiovascular disease management within a local pay-for-performance programme.PLOS ONE. 2015; 10: e0119185
- Effects of intensive glucose lowering in type 2 diabetes.N. Engl. J. Med. 2008; 358: 2545-2559
- Intensive blood glucose control and vascular outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes.N. Engl. J. Med. 2008; 358 ([PMID: 18539916]): 2560-2572
- Glucose control and vascular complications in veterans with type 2 diabetes.N. Engl. J. Med. 2009; 360: 129-139
- Intensive blood-glucose control with sulphonylureas or insulin compared with conventional treatment and risk of complications in patients with type 2 diabetes (UKPDS 33).Lancet. 1998; 352: 837-853
- Individualising glycaemic targets in type 2 diabetes mellitus: implications of recent clinical trials.Ann. Intern. Med. 2011; 154: 554-559
- Management of hyperglycemia in type 2 diabetes: a patient-centered approach: position statement of the American Diabetes Association (ADA) and the European Association for the study of Diabetes (EASD).Diabetes Care. 2012; 35: 1364-1379
- Public health implications of recommendations to individualise glycaemic targets in adults with diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2013; 36: 84-89
- Individualising HbA1c targets for patients with diabetes: impact of an automated algorithm within a primary care network.Diabet. Med. 2014; 31: 839-846
- NHG-standaard diabetes mellitus type 2 (derde herziening).Huisarts Wet. 2013; 56 ([in Dutch]): 512-525
- Polypharmacy in the aging patient: a review of glycemic control in older adults with type 2 diabetes.JAMA. 2016; 315: 1034-1045
- Effects of intensive blood-pressure control in type 2 diabetes mellitus.N. Engl. J. Med. 2010; 362: 1575-1585
- Aggressive blood pressure control increases coronary heart disease risk among diabetic patients.Diabetes Care. 2013; 36: 3287-3296
- Time for considering other blood pressure target values in elderly patients with type 2 diabetes?.Int. J. Clin. Pract. 2012; 66: 125-127
- Complex relationship between blood pressure and mortality in type 2 diabetic patients: a follow-up of the Botnia Study.Hypertension. 2006; 47: 168-173
- Lower blood pressure associated with higher mortality in elderly diabetic patients (ZODIAC-12).Age Ageing. 2010; 39: 603-609
- Treatment of hypertension in patients 80 years of age or older.N. Engl. J. Med. 2008; 358: 1887-1898
- Effect of antihypertensive treatment at different blood pressure levels in patients with diabetes mellitus: systematic review and meta-analyses.BMJ. 2016; 352: i717
- NHG-Standaard Cardiovasculair risicomanagement (tweede herziening).HuisartsWet. 2012; 55 ([in Dutch]): 14-28
- Standards of medical care in diabetes – 2015.Diabetes Care. 2015; 38: S1-S94
- The management of type 2 diabetes. CG87.National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, London2009 (last modified: December 2014)
- Cholesterol lowering and mortality: the importance of considering initial level of risk.BMJ. 1993; 306: 1367-1373
- International Classification of Primary Care ICPC-2-R.2nd ed. Oxford University Press, Oxford1998
- NHG-Standaard Diabetes mellitus type 2 (tweede herziening).Huisarts Wet. 2006; 49 ([in Dutch]): 137-152
- Evaluation of cardiovascular risk predicted by different SCORE equations: the Netherlands as an example.Eur. J. Cardiovasc. Prev. Rehabil. 2010; 17: 244-249
- A prospective observational study of quality of diabetes care in a shared care setting: trends and age differences (ZODIAC-19).BMJ Open. 2012; 2
- Achievement of goals in U.S. diabetes care, 1999–2010.N. Engl. J. Med. 2013; 368: 1613-1624
- Trends in control of cardiovascular risk factors among US adults with type 2 diabetes from 1999 to 2010: comparison by prevalent cardiovascular disease status.Diab. Vasc. Dis. Res. 2013; 10: 505-513
Klomp M, Romeijnders A, De Braal E, et al. Transparante ketenzorg diabetes mellitus, COPD en VRM rapportage zorggroepen over 2013, http://ineen.nl InEen. 2014 Jun 1 [in Dutch].
- Rates of deintensification of blood pressure and glycemic medication treatment based on levels of control and life expectancy in older patients with diabetes mellitus.JAMA Intern. Med. 2015; 175: 1942-1949