- •We perform a systematic review of incretin-based therapies and cognitive function.
- •GLP-1 showed positive effects on cerebral glucose metabolism.
- •DPP-IV inhibitors were associated with improved cognition in observational research.
- •We argue for powered clinical trials in patients with- and without diabetes.
Purchase one-time access:Academic and Personal
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The global prevalence of dementia: a systematic review and metaanalysis.Alzheimers Dement. 2013; 9 (e2): 63-75
- Treatment of Alzheimer’s disease: current status and new perspectives.Lancet Neurol. 2003; 2: 539-547
- Incretin-based therapies for type 2 diabetes mellitus.Nat. Rev. Endocrinol. 2009; 5: 262-269
- Subcutaneous administration of liraglutide ameliorates Alzheimer-associated tau hyperphosphorylation in rats with type 2 diabetes.J. Alzheimers Dis. 2013; 37: 637-648
- Linagliptin a dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitor, mitigates cognitive deficits and pathology in the 3xTg-AD Mouse Model of Alzheimer’s disease.Mol. Neurobiol. 2016; (Epub ahead of print)https://doi.org/10.1007/s12035-016-0125-7
- Motor and cognitive advantages persist 12 months after exenatide exposure in Parkinson’s disease.J. Parkinsons Dis. 2014; 4: 337-344
- In Alzheimer's disease, 6-month treatment with GLP-1 analog prevents decline of brain glucose metabolism: randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind clinical trial.Front. Aging Neurosci. 2016; 24 p: p108
- Dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitors have protective effect on cognitive impairment in aged diabetic patients with mild cognitive impairment.J. Gerontol. A Biol. Sci. Med. Sci. 2014; 69: 1122-1131
- Cognitive and functional influences of vildagliptin, a DPP-4 inhibitor, added to ongoing metformin therapy in elderly with type 2 diabetes.Endocr. Metab. Immune Disord. Drug Targets. 2013; 13: 256-263
- Liraglutide promotes improvements in objective measures of cognitive dysfunction in individuals with mood disorders: a pilot, open-label study.J. Affect. Disord. 2017; 207: 114-120
- GLP-1 receptors exist in the parietal cortex, hypothalamus and medulla of human brains and the GLP-1 analogue liraglutide alters brain activity related to highly desirable food cues in individuals with diabetes: a crossover, randomised, placebo-controlled trial.Diabetologia. 2016; 59: 954-965
- Exenatide regulates cerebral glucose metabolism in brain areas associated with glucose homeostasis and reward system.Diabetes. 2015; 64: 3406-3412
U.S. National Institutes of Health. https://clinicaltrials.gov/. (Accessed 2 December 2016).
- Prevention and management of cognitive impairment in people with type 2 diabetes: an evidence-based guide for primary care.Diabetes Prim. Care. 2016; 18: 75-79
- Investigating incretin-based therapies as a novel treatment for depression in type 2 diabetes: findings from the South London Diabetes (SOUL-D) Study.Prim. Care Diabetes. 2016; 10: 156-159