- •Prevalence of diabetes 5 years after pregnancy with gestational diabetes in Croatia is 3.75%.
- •Medical birth certificates and CroDiab are good and reliable national registries.
- •Women who develop diabetes after gestational diabetes in pregnancy have higher BMI.
- •Follow up of women with gestational diabetes in pregnancy should continue after childbirth in primary care settings.
Abbreviations:GD (gestational diabetes)
Purchase one-time access:Academic and Personal
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Impact of the implementation of new WHO diagnostic criteria for gestational diabetes mellitus on prevalence and perinatal outcomes: a population-based study.J. Pregnancy. 2016; 2016: 2670912https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/2670912
- Gestational diabetes mellitus and long-term consequences for mother and offspring: a view from Denmark.Diabetologia. 2016; 59: 1396-1399https://doi.org/10.1007/s00125-016-3985-5
- The International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics (FIGO) Initiative on gestational diabetes mellitus: a pragmatic guide for diagnosis, management, and care.Int. J. Gynaecol. Obstet. 2015; 131: S173-S211
- Indicators of glycemic control in patients with gestational diabetes mellitus and pregnant women with diabetes mellitus.World J. Diabetes. 2015; 6: 1045-1056https://doi.org/10.4239/wjd.v6.i8.1045
- The art and science of managing diabetic pregnancy by insulin injections and insulin pump: evidence based reports from research trials and meta-analysis.Gen. Med. (Los Angeles). 2017; 5e113https://doi.org/10.4172/2327-5146.1000e113
- Mothers with gestational diabetes are more likely to give birth to children who experience early weight problems.Acta Paediatr. 2016; 105: 1166-1172https://doi.org/10.1111/apa.13468
- High prevalence of type 2 diabetes and pre-diabetes in adult offspring of women with gestational diabetes mellitus or type 1 diabetes: the role of intrauterine hyperglycemia.Diabetes Care. 2008; 31: 340-346
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus after gestational diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Lancet. 2009; 373: 1773-1779https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(09)60731-5
- Gestational diabetes mellitus and risk of type 2 diabetes 10 years after the index pregnancy in Sri Lankan women—a community based retrospective cohort study.PLoS One. 2017; 12e0179647https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0179647
- [Increased risk of type II diabetes mellitus and cardiovascular disease after gestational diabetes mellitus: a systematic review].Ned. Tijdschr. Geneeskd. 2015; 159A8043
- Gestational diabetes and the incidence of type 2 diabetes: a systematic review.Diabetes Care. 2002; 25 (Review): 1862-1868
- Diabetes and abnormal glucose tolerance in women with previous gestational diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2003; 26: 1199-1205
- Risk of development of diabetes mellitus after diagnosis of gestational diabetes.CMAJ. 2008; 179: 229-234https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.080012
- Quantification of the type 2 diabetes risk in women with gestational diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis of 95,750 women.Diabetologia. 2016; 59: 1403-1411https://doi.org/10.1007/s00125-016-3927-2
- Risk factors for development of diabetes mellitus in women with a history of gestational diabetes mellitus.Chin. Med. J. (Engl.). 2000; 113: 759-762
Crodiab net. Available at: http://www.idb.hr/web_english/crodiabnet.htm. (Accessed 23 January 2018).
- CroDiab WEB and improvement of diabetes care at the primary health care level [CroDiab WEB i unapređenje dijabetološke skrbi u primarnoj zdravstvenoj zaštiti].Acta Med. Croatica. 2010; 64: 349-354
Croatian Society for Gynaecology and Obstetrics. Available at: http://www.hdgo.hr/Pages/Print.aspx?sifraStranica=171&kultura=hr. (18 January 2018).
- Dijagnoza hiperglikemije u trudnoci.Gynecologia at perinatologia. 2010; 19: 86-89
- International Association of Diabetes and Pregnancy Study Group recommendations on the diagnosis and classification of hyperglycemia in pregnancy.Diabetes Care. 2010; 33: 676-682
- Follow-up of women with previous GDM. Insulin, C-peptide, and proinsulin responses to oral glucose load.Diabetes. 1991; 40: 136-141
- Prevalence of gestational diabetes in Croatia.Croat. J. Public Health. 2016; 12: 10-14
- Prevention of diabetes in women with a history of gestational diabetes: effects of metformin and lifestyle interventions.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2008; 93: 4774-4779https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2008-0772
- How to prevent type 2 diabetes in women with previous gestational diabetes? A systematic review of behavioural interventions.Prim. Care Diabetes. 2017; 11: 403-413https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pcd.2017.05.002
- HbA1c as a predictor of diabetes after gestational diabetes mellitus.Prim. Care Diabetes. 2017; 11: 46-51https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pcd.2016.09.002
- Standards of medical care in diabetes—2013.Diabetes Care. 2013; 36: S11-S66
Diabetes in pregnancy: management from preconception the postnatal period, Guidance and guidelines, NICE. (2015). Retrieved from: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng3/chapter/1-Recommendations#intrapartum-care-2. (Accessed 23 January 2018).
- Postpartum diabetes testing rates after gestational diabetes mellitus in Canadian women: a population-based study.Can. J. Diabetes. 2017; 41: 613-620https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcjd.2016.12.013
- Postpartum screening for diabetes among women with a history of gestational diabetes mellitus.Prev. Chron. Dis. 2011; 8A124
- Women’s views on postpartum testing for type 2 diabetes after gestational diabetes: six month follow-up to the DIAMIND randomised controlled trial.Prim. Care Diabetes. 2017; 10: 91-102https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pcd.2015.07.003
- Missed opportunities for type 2 diabetes testing following gestational diabetes: a population-based cohort study.BJOG. 2011; 118: 1484-1490https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-0528.2011.03083
- Original research: postpartum testing rates among women with a history of gestational diabetes—systematic review.Prim. Care Diabetes. 2017; 7: 177-186https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pcd.2013.04.007