- •Higher prevalence of smell impairment in adults with diabetes.
- •No observed taste impairment in adults with diabetes.
- •Daily calorie intake appears to be reduced in people with smell impairment.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Prevalence and risk factors of taste and smell impairment in a nationwide representative sample of the US population: a cross-sectional study.BMJ Open. 2016; 6: e013246
- Neurotoxic exposure and impairment of the chemical senses of taste and smell.Handb. Clin. Neurol. 2015; 131: 299-324
- Impaired olfactory function is related to the presence of neuropathy in adults with type 1 diabetes.Diab. Vasc. Dis. Res. 2017; 14: 139-143
- Psysiological taste threshold in type 1 diabetes mellitus.Indian J. Physiol. Pharmacol. 2012; 56: 42-47
- Sweet taste sensitivity in pre-diabetics, diabetics and normoglycemic controls: a comparative cross sectional study.BMC Endocr. Disord. 2014; 14
- Olfactory dysfunction in type 2 diabetes mellitus: an additional manifestation of microvasculardisease?.Angiology. 2014; 65: 869-876
- Presence of neuropathic pain may explain poor performances on olfactory testing in diabetes mellitus patients.Chem. Senses. 2013; 38: 497-507
- Evaluation of gustatory function in patients with diabetes mellitus type 2.Oral Surg. Oral Med. Oral Pathol. Oral Radiol. Endod. 2009; 108: 876-880
- Clinical significance of smell and taste disorders in patients with diabetes mellitus.Eur. Arch. Otorhinolaryngol. 2010; 267: 547-550
- Enhanced carbohydrate craving in patients with poorly controlled type 2 diabetes mellitus.Diabet. Med. 2013; 30: 1080-1086
- Smell dysfunction and related factors in diabetic patients.Diabetes Care. 1993; 16: 934-937
- Taste sensitivity diminution in hyperglycemic type 2 diabetics patients.Rev. Med. Inst. Mex. Seguro. Soc. 2009; 47: 483-488
- The differential role of smell and taste for eating behavior.Perception. 2017; 46: 307-319
R. Huntriss, M., Campbell, C. Bedwell, The interpretation and effect of a low-carbohydrate diet in the management of type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. 21 (2017) https://doi.org/10.1038/s41430-017-0019-4.
- Taste and smell in diabetes.Pract. Diabetes. 2014; 31: 269-271
https://wwwn.cdc.gov/Nchs/Nhanes/2013-2014/CSX_H.htm, National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2013-2014 Data Documentation, Codebook, and Frequencies, Taste & Smell (CSX_H), Data File: CSX_H.xpt First Published: February 2016
- Valid across-group comparisons with labeled scales: the gLMS versus magnitude matching.Physiol. Behav. 2004; 82: 109-114
https://wwwn.cdc.gov/Nchs/Nhanes/2013-2014/BPX_H.htm, National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2013-2014 Data Documentation, Codebook, and Frequencies, Blood Pressure (BPX_H), Data File: BPX_H.xpt First Published: October 2015
- 2017 ACC/AHA Hypertension Guideline Writing Committee, Prevention, detection, evaluation, and management of high blood pressure in adults: synopsis of the 2017 American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Hypertension Guideline.Ann. Intern. Med. 2018; 168: 351-358
- Olfaction in neurodegenerative disease: a meta-analysis of olfactory functioning in Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases.Arch. Neurol. 1998; 55: 84-90
- Olfactory and gustatory functions in patients with noncomplicated type 1 diabetes mellitus.Eur. Arch. Otorhinolaryngol. 2017; 274: 1-7
- Decreased sucrose preference in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2014; 104: 214-219
- Obesity and diabetes. An update.Diabetes Metab. Syndr. 2017; 11: 73-79
- Smell-taste dysfunctions in extreme weight/eating conditions: analysis of hormonal and psychological interactions.Endocrine. 2016; 51: 256-267
- A Welge-Luessen, Position paper on olfactory dysfunction.Rhinol Supple. 2017; 54: 1-30
- Relationship between olfactory dysfunction and cognitive impairment in elderly patients with diabetes mellitus.Diabetes Res. Clin. Pract. 2014; 106: 465-473
- Type 2 diabetes impairs odour detection, olfactory memory and olfactory neuroplasticity; effects partly reversed by the DPP-4 inhibitor Linagliptin.Acta Neuropathol. Commun. Neurosci. Dis. 2018; 6https://doi.org/10.1186/s40478-018-0517-1