- •Successfully implemented a QI initiative to change primary care practice workflows.
- •Effectively identified women aged 18–44 years at high risk for type 2 diabetes.
- •Increased provision of preventive education for women at-risk for T2DM.
- •Improved completion rate of clinically recommended T2DM screenings.
Abbreviations:T2DM (type 2 diabetes mellitus), GDM (gestational diabetes mellitus), QI (quality improvement), PCP (Primary Care Providers)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- National Diabetes Statistics Report, (2017).Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, US Department of Health and Human Services, Atlanta, GA2017
- IDF Diabetes Atlas.(Retrieved 20 August 2019 from)8th ed. International Diabetes Federation, Brussels, Belgium2017
- Trends in selected chronic conditions and behavioral risk factors among women of reproductive age, behavioral risk factor surveillance system, 2001–2009.Prev. Chronic Dis. 2011; 8: A120
- Type 2 diabetes after gestational diabetes: the influence of changing diagnostic criteria.World J. Diabetes. 2015; 6: 234-244
- Introduction: standards of medical care in diabetes, (2019).Diabetes Care. 2019; 42: S1-S2https://doi.org/10.2337/dc19-Sint01
- Diabetes mellitus: screening and diagnosis.Am. Fam. Physician. 2016; 93: 103-109
- Women’s clinical preventive services in the United States: who is doing what?.JAMA Intern. Med. 2014; 174: 1512-1514https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2014.3003
- GooD4Mum: a general practice-based quality improvement collaborative for diabetes prevention in women with previous gestational diabetes.Prim. Care Diabetes. 2019; 13: 134-141https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pcd.2018.10.006
- Prevalence and changes in preexisting diabetes and gestational diabetes among women who had a live birth — United States, 2012–2016.MMWR Morb. Mortal. Wkly. Rep. 2018; 67: 1201-1207
- Gestational diabetes mellitus. ACOG Practice Bulletin No. 190.Obstet. Gynecol. 2018; 131: e49-e64
- Role of type 2 diabetes in determining retinal, renal, and cardiovascular outcomes in women with previous gestational diabetes mellitus.Diabetes Care. 2017; 40: 101-108https://doi.org/10.2337/dc16-1400
- Risk of development of diabetes mellitus after diagnosis of gestational diabetes.CMAJ. 2008; 179: 229-234
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus after gestational diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Lancet. 2009; 373: 1773-1779
- Gestational diabetes mellitus: an updated overview.J. Endocrinol. Invest. 2017; 40: 899-909https://doi.org/10.1007/s40618-016-0607-5
- Evidence based review of type 2 diabetes prevention and management in low and middle income countries.World J. Diabetes. 2016; 7: 2009-2229
- Postpartum diabetes screening among low income women with gestational diabetes in Missouri 2010–2015.BMC Public Health. 2019; 19: 148
- Management of diabetes in pregnancy: standards of medical care in diabetes—2018.Diabetes Care. 2018; 41: S137-S143https://doi.org/10.2337/dc18-S01
- Follow-up after gestational diabetes: a fixable gap in women’s preventive healthcare.BMJ Open Diabetes Res. Care. 2017; 5e000445https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjdrc-2017-000445
- Compliance with postpartum diabetes screening recommendations for patients with gestational diabetes.J. Womens Health. 2018; 27: 4https://doi.org/10.1089/jwh.2017.6477
- Preventing chronic disease in women of reproductive age: opportunities for health promotion and preventive services.Prev. Chronic Dis. 2012; 9: E34
- Clinician views and knowledge regarding healthcare provision in the postpartum period for women with recent gestational diabetes: a systematic review of qualitative/survey studies.Diabetes Res. Clin. Pract. 2014; 106: 401-411https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2014.09.001
- Defining quality improvement in public health.J. Public Health Manag. Pract. 2010; 16: 5-7
www.improvingchroniccare.org/index.php?p=Change_Package&s=386. Improving Chronic Illness Care. Resource Library. (Retrieved 18 February 2019).
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – National Center for Health Statistics. NCHS Urban-Rural Classification Scheme for Counties. Retrieved 18 February 2019 from https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data_access/urban_rural.htm.
- Counties in Appalachia.(Retrieved 18 February 2019 from)2008
http://www.ihi.org/resources/Pages/HowtoImprove/ScienceofImprovementHowtoImprove.aspx. Institute for Healthcare Improvement. Science of Improvement: How to Improve. (Retrieved 16 January 2019).
http://www.ihi.org/resources/Pages/Tools/PlanDoStudyActWorksheet.aspx. Institute for Healthcare Improvement. Tools: Plan-Do-Study-Act (PDSA) Worksheet. (Retrieved 21 March 2019).
- Research electronic data capture (REDCap) — a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J. Biomed. Inform. 2009; 42: 377-381
- SAS: the Power to Know.2015 (February 24.)https://www.sas.com/content/dam/SAS/documents/legal-employee-services/legal/editorial-guidelines.pdf
- e-Handbook of Statistical Methods.(184.108.40.206.Run-Sequence Plot) (last update 30 October).2013
- Integrating six Sigma with total quality management: a case example for measuring medication errors.J. Health Manag. 2003; 48 (discussion 392): 377-391
- Improving health outcomes with better patient understanding and education.Risk Manag. Healthc. Policy. 2010; 3: 61-72https://doi.org/10.2147/RMHP.S7500
- Understanding type 2 diabetes mellitus screening practices among primary care physicians: a qualitative chart-stimulated recall study.BMC Fam. Pract. 2017; 18: 50https://doi.org/10.1186/s12875-017-0623-3
- Primary care physicians’ perceptions of barriers to preventive reproductive health care in rural communities.Perspect. Sex. Reprod. Health. 2012; 44: 78-83https://doi.org/10.1363/4407812
- Preconception care of women with diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2003; 26: S91-S93
- Reconsidering the age thresholds for type II diabetes screening in the U.S.Am. J. Prev. Med. 2014; 47: 375-381
Final Recommendation Statement: Abnormal Blood Glucose and Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: Screening. U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. April 2018. https://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/Page/Document/RecommendationStatementFinal/screening-for-abnormal-blood-glucose-and-type-2-diabetes.
- The early treatment of type 2 diabetes.Am. J. Med. 2013; 126: S2-S9https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjmed.2013.06.007
- Economic cost of diabetes in the U.S. in 2017.Diabetes Care. 2018; 41: 917-928https://doi.org/10.2337/dci18-0007
- A systematic review on costs and cost-effectiveness of screening and prevention of type 2 diabetes in women with prior gestational diabetes: exploring uncharted territory.Diabetes Res. Clin. Pract. 2019; 147: 138-148https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2018.11.012
- Systematic literature review of the health economic implications of early detection by screening populations at risk for type 2 diabetes.Curr. Med. Res. Opin. 2017; 33: 331-358https://doi.org/10.1080/03007995.2016.1257977