- •This study shows that there were risks for new-onset diabetes mellitus (NODM) in statin users.
- •There was higher risk for NODM in statin low-users than high-users.
- •There was a possibility of dose and type differences in statin’s diabetogenic effects.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Non-communicable diseases in the Asia-Pacific region: prevalence, risk factors and community-based prevention.Int. J. Occup. Med. Environ. Health. 2015; : 1-7
- IDF Diabetes Atlas: global estimates of diabetes prevalence for 2017 and projections for 2045.Diabetes Res. Clin. Pract. 2018; 138: 271-281
- The Ministry of Health and Welfare and the Korean Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Current Status and Issues of Chronic Disease.2018 ((Available from : file:)
- Global healthcare expenditure on diabetes for 2010 and 2030.Diabetes Res. Clin. Pract. 2010; 87: 293-301
- Medical care expenditures for diabetes, its chronic complications, and its comorbidities.Prev. Med. 1999; 29: 173-186
- Statins: mechanism of action and effects.J. Cell. Mol. Med. 2001; 5: 378-387
- 2013 ACC/AHA guideline on the treatment of blood cholesterol to reduce atherosclerotic cardiovascular risk in adults: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2014; 63: 2889-2934
- Risk of incident diabetes with intensive-dose compared with moderate-dose statin therapy: a meta-analysis.JAMA. 2011; 305: 2556-2564
- Statins and risk of incident diabetes: a collaborative meta-analysis of randomised statin trials.Lancet. 2010; 375: 735-742
- Clinical significance of diabetes likely induced by statins: evidence from a large population-based cohort.Diabetes Res. Clin. Pract. 2017; 133: 60-68
- Statin therapy and risk of developing type 2 diabetes: a meta-analysis.Diabetes Care. 2009; 32: 1924-1929
- FDA Drug Safety Communication: Important Safety Label Changes to Cholesterol-lowering Statin Drugs.US Food and Drug Administration, Rockville, MD2012 (Available from https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-and-availability/fda-drug-safety-communication-important-safety-label-changes-cholesterol-lowering-statin-drugs)
- Medication possession ratio: implications of using fixed and variable observation periods in assessing adherence with disease-modifying drugs in patients with multiple sclerosis.Patient Prefer. Adherence. 2013; 7: 509
- Statins and multiple noncardiovascular outcomes: umbrella review of meta-analyses of observational studies and randomized controlled trials.Ann. Intern. Med. 2018; 169: 543-553
- Decreased prevalence of Alzheimer disease associated with 3-hydroxy-3-methyglutaryl coenzyme A reductase inhibitors.Arch. Neurol. 2000; 57: 1439-1443
- Effect of pravastatin on loss of renal function in people with moderate chronic renal insufficiency and cardiovascular disease.J. Am. Soc. Nephrol. 2003; 14: 1605-1613
- Statins and glycaemic control in individuals with diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Diabetologia. 2014; 57: 2444-2452
- Cardiovascular benefits and diabetes risks of statin therapy in primary prevention: an analysis from the JUPITER trial.Lancet. 2012; 380: 565-571
- Pravastatin and the development of diabetes mellitus: evidence for a protective treatment effect in the West of Scotland Coronary Prevention Study.Circulation. 2001; 103: 357-362
- Secondary prevention of cardiovascular events with long-term pravastatin in patients with diabetes or impaired fasting glucose: results from the LIPID trial.Diabetes Care. 2003; 26: 2713-2721
- Meta-analysis of impact of different types and doses of statins on new-onset diabetes mellitus.Am. J. Cardiol. 2013; 111: 1123-1130
- Statins and new-onset diabetes: a retrospective longitudinal cohort study.Clin. Ther. 2012; 34: 1977-1983
- Statin and the risk of new-onset diabetes mellitus.J. Korean Med. Assoc. 2017; 60: 901-911
- Risk of diabetes in patients treated with HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors.Metab.-Clin. Exp. 2015; 64: 482-488
- Impact of statin use on development of new-onset diabetes mellitus in Asian population.Am. J. Cardiol. 2016; 117: 382-387
- Impact of statins on risk of new onset diabetes mellitus: a population-based cohort study using the Korean National Health Insurance claims database.Ther. Clin. Risk Manage. 2016; 12: 1533
- Statin treatment and new-onset diabetes: a review of proposed mechanisms.Metabo.-Clin. Exp. 2014; 63: 735-745
- Effects of simvastatin on glucose metabolism in mouse MIN6 cells.J. Diabetes Res. 2014; 2014https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/376570
- Inhibition by simvastatin, but not pravastatin, of glucose‐induced cytosolic Ca2+ signalling and insulin secretion due to blockade of L‐type Ca2+ channels in rat islet β‐cells.Br. J. Pharmacol. 1999; 126: 1205-1213
- Reduction of serum ubiquinol-10 and ubiquinone-10 levels by atorvastatin in hypercholesterolemic patients.J. Atheroscler. Thromb. 2005; 12: 111-119
- Statin-induced diabetes: perhaps, it’s the tip of the iceberg.QJM. 2010; 104: 174-178
- Effects of atorvastatin and pravastatin on glucose tolerance in diabetic rats mildly induced by streptozotocin.Biol. Pharm. Bull. 2003; 26: 1681-1684
- Methods for evaluation of medication adherence and persistence using automated databases.Pharmacoepidemiol. Drug Saf. 2006; 15: 565-574
- Relationship between adherence level to statins, clinical issues and health‐care costs in real‐life clinical setting.Value Health. 2010; 13: 87-94