- •Both high and low HbA1c were associated with higher mortality in elderly diabetics.
- •A 3-fold increase in odd ratio for mortality was noted when the HbA1c was <6.0%.
- •Risk factors for mortality included smoking, low BMI, high LDL, and sulphonylureas.
- •Aggressive glycaemic control should be approached cautiously in the elderly.
Main Outcome Measures
- The hemoglobin A1c level as a progressive risk factor for cardiovascular death, hospitalization for heart failure, or death in patients with chronic heart failure.Arch. Intern. Med. 2008; 168: 1699
- Association of glycaemia with macrovascular and microvascular complications of type 2 diabetes (UKPDS 35): prospective observational study.Bmj. 2000; 321: 405-412
- 10-year follow-up of intensive glucose control in type 2 diabetes.N. Engl. J. Med. 2008; 359: 1577-1589
- Intensive blood glucose control and vascular outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes.N. Engl. J. Med. 2008; 358: 2560-2572
- Effects of Intensive Glucose Lowering in Type 2 Diabetes.N. Engl. J. Med. 2008; 358: 2545-2559
- The association between symptomatic, severe hypoglycaemia and mortality in type 2 diabetes: retrospective epidemiological analysis of the ACCORD study.Bmj. 2010; (August; 340 (jan08 1))
- Survival as a function of HbA1c in people with type 2 diabetes: a retrospective cohort study.Lancet. 2010; 375: 481-489
- Effect of a multifactorial intervention on mortality in type 2 diabetes.N. Engl. J. Med. 2008; 358: 580-591
Resource Corner [Internet]. Diabetes-friendly Recipes | Resource Corner | Primary Care Office. Available from: https://www.pco.gov.hk/english/resource/professionals_diabetes_pdf.html.
- 2. Classification and diagnosis of diabetes: standards of medical care in Diabetes-2018.Philos. Trans. R. Soc. B: Bio. Sci. 2018; (The Royal Society [Internet])
- Consensus Statement By The American Association Of Clinical Endocrinologists And American College Of Endocrinology On The Comprehensive Type 2 Diabetes Management Algorithm – 2018 Executive Summary.Endocr. Pract. 2018; 24: 91-120
- Proposed Working Definition of an Older Person in Africa for the MDS Project.World Health Organization, 2016 (Available from: https://www.who.int/healthinfo/survey/ageingdefnolder/en/ [Internet])
RESEARCH RANDOMIZER [Internet]. Pair of dice. Available from: https://www.randomizer.org/.
Calculate confidence limits for a sample proportion. Available from: http://epitools.ausvet.com.au/content.php?page=SampleSize.
- Recent HbA1c values and mortality risk in type 2 diabetes. Population-based case-control study.PLoS One. 2013; 8
- Risk of mortality and adverse cardiovascular outcomes in type 2 diabetes: a comparison of patients treated with sulfonylureas and metformin.Diabetologia. 2006; 49: 930-936
- Effect of Aging on A1C Levels in Individuals Without Diabetes: Evidence from the Framingham Offspring Study and the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2001-2004.Diabetes Care. 2008; 31: 1991-1996
- Low hemoglobin A1c and risk of all-cause mortality among US adults without diabetes.Circ.: Cardiovasc. Qual. Outcomes. 2010; 3: 661-667
- Hemoglobin A1c predicts healing rate in diabetic wounds.J. Invest. Dermatol. 2011; 131: 2121-2127
- Smoking and diabetes—the double health hazard!.Prim. Care Diabetes. 2009; 3: 205-209
- Severe hypoglycemia identifies vulnerable patients with type 2 diabetes at risk for premature death and all-site Cancer: the Hong Kong diabetes registry.Diabetes Care. 2014; 37: 1024-1031
- Body mass index and mortality in elderly men and women: the Tromsø and HUNT studies.J. Epidemiol. Community Health. 2011; 66: 611-617
- Association between body mass index and mortality in the Korean elderly: a nationwide cohort study.PLoS One. 2018; 13
- Efficacy of cholesterol-lowering therapy in 18 686 people with diabetes in 14 randomised trials of statins: a meta-analysis.Lancet. 2008; 371: 117-125
- Infections in patients with diabetes mellitus.N. Engl. J. Med. 1999; 341: 1906-1912
- Diabetes mellitus, fasting glucose, and risk of cause-specific death.N. Engl. J. Med. 2011; 364: 829-841
- Associations of HbA1cand educational level with risk of cardiovascular events in 32 871 drug-treated patients with Type 2 diabetes: a cohort study in primary care.Diabetic Med. 2013; 30