- •More than half of 97 obese children had insulin resistance (56.7% HOMA-IR>3.42).
- •27.8% had elevated HbA1c (39−46 mmol/mol; 5.7–6.4%).
- •16.5% had fasting plasma glucose 5.6–6.9 mmol/l.
- •14.4% children had metabolic syndrome.
- •Childhood obesity and associated metabolic abnormalities need urgent attention.
- Prevalence of childhood obesity in the State of Kuwait.Pediatr. Obes. 2016; 11: e30-e34https://doi.org/10.1111/ijpo.12090
- IDF Diabetes Atlas Eight Edition. ISBN: 978-2-930229-87-4.2017
- Incidence of type 2 diabetes in Kuwaiti children and adolescents: results from the Childhood-Onset Diabetes eRegistry (CODeR).Front. Endocrinol. 2019; 10: 836https://doi.org/10.3389/fendo.2019.00836
- Metabolic syndrome: definitions and controversies.BMC Med. 2011; 9: 48https://doi.org/10.1186/1741-7015-9-48
- Standards of medical care in diabetes-2020.Diabetes Care. 2020; 43
- Definition and Diagnosis of Diabetes Mellitus and Intermediate Hyperglycemia. Report of a WHO/IDF Consultation.World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland2006 (ISBN 92 4 159493 4)
- Reference ranges of HOMA-IR in normal weight and obese young Caucasians.Acta Diabetol. 2016; 53: 251-260
- The metabolic syndrome in children and adolescents — an IDF consensus report.Pediatr. Diabetes. 2007; 8: 299-306https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1399-5448.2007.00271.x
- Comparative prognostic performance of definitions of prediabetes in the Atherosclerosis Risk In Communities (ARIC) study.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2017; 5: 34-42https://doi.org/10.1016/S2213-8587(16)30321-7
- Intermediate hyperglycaemia to predict progression to type 2 diabetes (ELSA-Brasil): an occupational cohort study in Brazil.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2019; 7: 267-277https://doi.org/10.1016/S2213-8587(19)30058-0
- The need for international consensus on prediabetes.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2017; 5: 5-7https://doi.org/10.1016/S2213-8587(16)30328-X
- Insulin function in obese children within the low and high ranges of impared fasting glycemia.Pediatr. Diabetes. 2019; 20: 160-165
- Insulin resistance in children.Front. Endocrinol. 2019; 10: 342https://doi.org/10.3389/fendo.2019.00342
- Prevalence of the metabolic syndrome among female Kuwaiti adolescents using two different criteria.Br. J. Nutr. 2010; 103: 77-81
- Prevalence of metabolic syndrome (MetS) among male Kuwaiti adolescents aged 10–19 years.Health. 2013; 5: 938-942https://doi.org/10.4236/health.2013.55124
- Metabolic syndrome among obese Kuwaiti adolescents (11–17 years).J. Obes. Weight Loss Ther. 2012; 2: 110https://doi.org/10.4172/2165-7904.1000110
- The metabolic syndrome in children and adolescents: shifting the focus to cardiometabolic risk factor clustering.Pediatrics. 2017; 140e20171603https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2017-1603