- •Older prediabetic males have worse in-hospital cardiovascular outcomes and survival than females.
- •The admission rate was higher among older white males and female with prediabetes than other racial groups.
- •Older males with prediabetes have a higher prevalence of overall cardiovascular comorbidities.
- •Hypertension and Obesity frequencies were higher in older prediabetic females than males.
- •Geriatric prediabetic males reported higher frequency of acute MI, arrhythmia, stroke, PCI and thromboembolism than females.
- Associations of prediabetes with all-cause and cardiovascular mortality: a meta-analysis.Ann. Med. 2014; 46: 684-692https://doi.org/10.3109/07853890.2014.955051
- Global epidemiology of prediabetes - present and future perspectives.Clin. Diabetes Endocrinol. 2019; 5: 5https://doi.org/10.1186/s40842-019-0080-0
- Role of prediabetes in stroke.Neuropsychiatr. Dis. Treat. 2017; 13: 259-267https://doi.org/10.2147/NDT.S128807
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Diabetes Statistics Report, 2017. Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, US Department of Health and Human Services; 2017. https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/data/statistics/statistics-report.html. (Accessed September 2019) (n.d.).
- IDF Diabetes Atlas: global estimates of diabetes prevalence for 2017 and projections for 2045.Diabetes Res. Clin. Pract. 2018; 138: 271-281https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2018.02.023
- A case-control study on risk factors and their interactions with prediabetes among the elderly in rural communities of Yiyang City, Hunan Province.J. Diabetes Res. 2019; 2019: 1386048https://doi.org/10.1155/2019/1386048
HCUP Databases, Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP), Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD, August 2018, www.hcupus.ahrq.gov/nisoverview.jsp, (Accessed December 2018) (n.d.).
HCUPCCS- Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP), Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD, March 2017, www.hcupus.ahrq.gov/toolssoftware/ccs/ccs.jsp, (Accessed December 2018) (n.d.).
- Burden of arrhythmia in recreational marijuana users.Int. J. Cardiol. 2018; 264: 91-92https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijcard.2018.03.113
- Burden of arrhythmias in epilepsy patients: a nationwide inpatient analysis of 1.4 million hospitalizations in the United States.Cureus. 2017; 9: e1550https://doi.org/10.7759/cureus.1550
- The burden of cardiac arrhythmias in sarcoidosis: a population-based inpatient analysis.Ann. Transl. Med. 2018; 6: 330https://doi.org/10.21037/atm.2018.07.33
- The economic burden of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) in a U.S. medicare population.Respir. Med. 2008; 102: 1248-1256https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rmed.2008.04.009
- Prevalence of prediabetes in patients with acute coronary syndrome: impact on in-hospital outcomes.Intern. Med. J. 2015; 45: 183-188https://doi.org/10.1111/imj.12651
- Cardiovascular and renal burdens of prediabetes in the USA: analysis of data from serial cross-sectional surveys, 1988-2014.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2018; 6: 392-403https://doi.org/10.1016/S2213-8587(18)30027-5
- Modifiable risk factors associated with prediabetes in men and women: a cross-sectional analysis of the cohort study in primary health care on the evolution of patients with prediabetes (PREDAPS-Study).BMC Fam. Pract. 2015; 16: 5https://doi.org/10.1186/s12875-014-0216-3
- Prevalence of prediabetes, diabetes, and its associated risk factors among males in Saudi Arabia: a population-based survey.J. Diabetes Res. 2018; 2018: 2194604https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/2194604
- Effects of prediabetes mellitus alone or plus hypertension on subsequent occurrence of cardiovascular disease and diabetes mellitus: longitudinal study.Hypertension (Dallas Tex 1979). 2015; 65: 525-530https://doi.org/10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.114.04632
- Ten-year risk of cardiovascular incidence related to diabetes, prediabetes, and the metabolic syndrome.Am. Heart J. 2007; 153: 552-558https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ahj.2007.01.003
- Cardiovascular risk and obesity.Diabetol. Metab. Syndr. 2019; 11: 74https://doi.org/10.1186/s13098-019-0468-0
- The epidemic of obesity and diabetes: trends and treatments.Tex. Heart Inst. J. 2011; 38: 142-144
- Overweight and abdominal obesity as determinants of undiagnosed diabetes and pre-diabetes in Bangladesh.BMC Obes. 2016; 3: 19https://doi.org/10.1186/s40608-016-0099-z
- Diabetes dyslipidemia.Diabetes Ther. 2016; 7: 203-219https://doi.org/10.1007/s13300-016-0167-x
- Lipid profile in prediabetes.J. Assoc. Physicians India. 2016; 64: 18-21
- Association of smoking and nicotine dependence with pre-diabetes in young and healthy adults.Swiss Med. 2014; 144: w14019https://doi.org/10.4414/smw.2014.14019
- Alcohol consumption and risk of pre-diabetes and type 2 diabetes development in a Swedish population.Diabet. Med. J. Br. Diabet. Assoc. 2012; 29: 441-452https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1464-5491.2011.03450.x
- Sex differences in outcomes and associated factors among stroke patients with small artery occlusion in China.Biol. Sex Differ. 2018; 9: 35https://doi.org/10.1186/s13293-018-0194-6
- Macrovascular complications in patients with diabetes and prediabetes.Biomed Res. Int. 2017; 2017: 7839101https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/7839101
- Long-term mortality is increased in patients with undetected prediabetes and type-2 diabetes hospitalized for worsening heart failure and reduced ejection fraction.Eur. J. Prev. Cardiol. 2019; 26: 72-82https://doi.org/10.1177/2047487318807767
- Increased vascular disease mortality risk in prediabetic Korean adults is mainly attributable to ischemic stroke.Stroke. 2017; 48: 840-845https://doi.org/10.1161/STROKEAHA.116.015947
- Association between fasting glucose and all-cause mortality according to sex and age: a prospective cohort study.Sci. Rep. 2017; 7: 8194https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-017-08498-6