- •A preference for primary care physicians over diabetes specialists was found.
- •Family history of diabetes in siblings was associated with choosing a specialist.
- •Regular diabetic retinopathy screening was associated with choosing a specialist.
- •Younger age and female sex, were predictors for choosing a diabetes specialist.
- •Higher HbA1c and experience of hypoglycemia predicted the choice of a specialist.
- Standards of medical care in diabetes – 2020.Diabetes Care. 2020; 43: S1-S2
- IDF Diabetes Atlas.9th ed. International Diabetes Federation, Brussels, Belgium2019
- The prevalence and treatment patterns of diabetes in the Greek population based on real-world data from the nation-wide prescription database.Diabetes Res. Clin. Pract. 2016; 118: 162-167
- Diabetes Complications.2020 (Available at: https://www.idf.org/aboutdiabetes/complications.html (accessed 05.02.20))
- Barriers to effective management of type 2 diabetes in primary care: qualitative systematic review.Br. J. Gen. Pract. 2016; 66: e114-e127
- Standards of medical care in diabetes – 2020 abridged for primary care providers.Clin. Diabetes. 2020; 38: 10-38
- Type 2 diabetes management in primary care: the role of retrospective, professional continuous glucose monitoring.Diabetes Spectr. 2018; 31: 279-287
- General Practice Activity in Australia 2009–10. General Practice Series No. 27. Cat. No. GEP 27.Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, Canberra2010
- Primary Care in Ontario: ICES Atlas.Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences, Toronto2006
- Diabetes care: the effectiveness of systems for routine surveillance for people with diabetes.Cochrane Database Syst. Rev. 2000; 2: CD000541
- The status of glycemic control by general practitioners and specialists for diabetes in Japan: a cross-sectional survey of 15,652 patients with diabetes mellitus.Diabetes Res. Clin. Pract. 2009; 83: 397-401
- Basal insulin initiation in primary vs. specialist care: similar glycaemic control in two different patient populations.Int. J. Clin. Pract. 2016; 70: 236-243
- Model of care for the management of complex Type 2 diabetes managed in the community by primary care physicians with specialist support: an open controlled trial.Diabet. Med. 2013; 30: 1112-1121
- The World Health Report 2008: Primary Health Care (Now More Than Ever).2008 (Available at: https://www.who.int/whr/2008/en/ (accessed 05.02.20))
- Performance of primary care physicians and other providers on key process measures in the treatment of diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2013; 36: 1147-1152
- A simulation study of the number of events per variable in logistic regression analysis.J. Clin. Epidemiol. 1996; 49: 1373-1379
- Log odds and the interpretation of logit models.Health Serv. Res. 2018; 53: 859-878
- A comparison of binary logit and probit models with a simulation study.J. Soc. Econ. Stat. 2013; 2: 1-17
- Stata tip 97: getting at ρ’s and σ’s.Stata J. 2011; 11: 315-317
- Diabetes service provision: a qualitative study of newly diagnosed Type 2 diabetes patients’ experiences and views.Diabet. Med. 2005; 22: 1246-1251
- ‘The onus is on me’: primary care patient views of Medicare-funded team care in chronic disease management in Australia.Health Expect. 2015; 18: 879-891
- Clients’ perspective on service quality for type 2 diabetes in Australia.Aust. N. Z. J. Public Health. 2007; 31: 511-515
- Lay perceptions of type 2 diabetes in Scotland: bringing health services back in.Soc. Sci. Med. 2005; 60: 1423-1435
- Psychological functioning of siblings in families of children with chronic health conditions: a meta-analysis.J. Pediatr. Psychol. 2012; 37: 166-184
- Patient, primary care provider, and specialist perspectives on specialty care coordination in an integrated health care system.J. Ambul. Care Manage. 2018; 41: 15-24
- Birth weight, family history of diabetes and diabetes onset in schizophrenia.BMJ Open Diabetes Res. Care. 2020; 8: e001036
- The emotional, social, and behavioral implications of insulin-induced hypoglycemia.Semin. Clin. Neuropsychiatry. 1997; 2: 57-65
- Prevention of diabetes and heart disease – patient perceptions on risk, risk assessment and the role of their GP in preventive care.Aust. Fam. Physician. 2013; 42: 328-331
- Diabetic retinopathy screening in patients with diabetes mellitus in primary care: incentives and barriers to screening attendance.Diabetes Res. Clin. Pract. 2012; 96: 10-16
- Diabetic retinopathy screening: a systematic review on patients’ non-attendance.Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health. 2018; 15: E157
- Gender differences in the utilization of health care services.J. Fam. Pract. 2000; 49: 147-152
- Sex differences in medical care utilization: an empirical investigation.J. Health Soc. Behav. 1982; 23: 106-119
- Gender roles, illness orientation and use of medical services.Soc. Sci. Med. 1983; 17: 129-137
- A future for primary care for the Greek population.Qual. Prim. Care. 2013; 21: 369-378