- •A correlation emerged between diabetes comorbidities and health-care service usage.
- •Analyses revealed no differences in hospitalization rates by comorbidity class.
- •The burden of comorbidities increases the usage of primary level care-services.
- Global aetiology and epidemiology of type 2 diabetes mellitus and its complications.Nat. Rev. Endocrinol. 2018; 14: 88-98https://doi.org/10.1038/nrendo.2017.151
- Diabetes. [Fact sheet].2018 (Accessed 17 February 2020)
- Global prevalence of diabetes: estimates for the year 2000 and projections for 2030.Diabetes Care. 2004; 27: 1047-1053https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.27.5.1047
- Prevalence and co-prevalence of comorbidities among patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.Curr. Med. Res. Opin. 2016; 32: 1243-1252https://doi.org/10.1185/03007995.2016.1168291
World Health Organization Integrated care for older people (ICOPE) implementation framework: guidance for systems and services. World Health Organization, 2019 ISBN: 9789241515993. Available at: https://www.who.int/ageing/publications/icope-framework/en/. (Accessed 3 August 2020).
- Global burden of diabetes, 1995-2025: prevalence, numerical estimates, and projections.Diabetes Care. 1998; 21: 1414-1431https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.21.9.1414
- Global and societal implications of the diabetes epidemic.Nature. 2001; 414: 782-787https://doi.org/10.1038/414782a
- Projections of global mortality and burden of disease from 2002 to 2030.PLoS Med. 2006; 3e442https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.0030442
- Economic Impact of Diabetes.9th ed. 2019 (Available at: https://www.diabetesatlas.org/en/. Accessed on 03 Aug 2020)
- Global healthcare expenditure on diabetes for 2010 and 2030.Diabetes Res. Clin. Pract. 2010; 87 (Epub 2010 Feb 19. Erratum in: Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2011 May;92(2):301. PMID: 20171754): 293-301https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2010.01.026
ARNO (osservatorio) Diabete: Il profilo assistenziale della popolazione con diabete. Rapporto 2019 Volume XXXI - Collana Rapporti ARNO. Availble at http://www.siditalia.it/clinica/linee-guida-societari/send/80-linee-guida-documenti-societari/5025-rapporto-arno-diabete-2019. (Accessed 03 August 2020).
- The extra cost of comorbidity: multiple illnesses and the economic burden of non-communicable diseases.BMC Med. 2017; 15 (Published 2017 Dec 8): 216https://doi.org/10.1186/s12916-017-0978-2
- The costs of type 2 diabetes mellitus in Italy: a CODE-2 sub-study.Treat. Endocrinol. 2003; 2: 121-133https://doi.org/10.2165/00024677-200302020-00005
- Major complications have an impact on total annual medical cost of diabetes: results of a database analysis.J Diabetes Complications. 2006; 20: 163-169https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdiacomp.2005.06.011
- Disruptive models in primary care: caring for high-needs, high-cost populations.J. Gen. Intern. Med. 2017; 32 (Epub 2017 Feb 27): 392-397https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-016-3945-2
- ACG System Version 11.0. Technical Reference Guide.11.0th ed. The Johns Hopkins University, 2014
- A case-mix classification system for explaining healthcare costs using administrative data in Italy.Eur. J. Intern. Med. 2018; 54: 13-16https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejim.2018.02.035
- Pharmaceutical cost and multimorbidity with type 2 diabetes mellitus using electronic health record data.BMC Health Serv. Res. 2016; 16 (Published 2016 Aug 17): 394https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-016-1649-2
- The role of gender in cost-related medication nonadherence among patients with diabetes.J. Am. Board Fam. Med. 2018; 31: 743-751https://doi.org/10.3122/jabfm.2018.05.180039
- Patient characteristics associated with medication adherence.Clin. Med. Res. 2013; 11: 54-65https://doi.org/10.3121/cmr.2013.1113
- Tackling inequalities: are secondary prevention therapies for reducing post-infarction mortality used without disparities?.Eur. J. Prev. Cardiol. 2014; 21: 222-230https://doi.org/10.1177/2047487312462148
- Adherence to Long-term Therapies: Evidence for Action.WHO Library Cataloguing, 2008 (Available at: https://www.who.int/chp/knowledge/publications/adherence_report/en/. (Accessed 03 August 2020))
- Empowerment and self-management of diabetes.Clin. Diabetes. 2004; 22: 123-127https://doi.org/10.2337/diaclin.22.3.123
- Differences in the use of procedures between women and men hospitalized for coronary heart disease.N. Engl. J. Med. 1991; 325: 221-225https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199107253250401
- Gender bias in the diagnosis and treatment of coronary artery disease.Heart Lung. 1995; 24: 427-435https://doi.org/10.1016/s0147-9563(95)80020-4
- Treatment of acute myocardial infarction and 30-day mortality among women and men.N. Engl. J. Med. 2000; 343: 8-15https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM200007063430102
- Biology or bias: practice patterns and long-term outcomes for men and women with acute myocardial infarction.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2002; 39: 1909-1916https://doi.org/10.1016/s0735-1097(02)01892-2
- The importance of sex as a risk factor for hospital readmissions due to pulmonary diseases.BMC Public Health. 2020; 20 (Published 2020 Jan 14): 53https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-019-8138-6
- Gender differences in the management and experience of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Respir. Med. 2004; 98: 1207-1213https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rmed.2004.05.004
- Comorbidity and the use of primary care and specialist care in the elderly.Ann. Fam. Med. 2005; 3: 215-222https://doi.org/10.1370/afm.307
- Comorbidity burden and health services use in community-living older adults with diabetes mellitus: a retrospective cohort study.Can. J. Diabetes. 2016; 40: 35-42https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcjd.2015.09.002
- Aging with multimorbidity: a systematic review of the literature.Ageing Res. Rev. 2011; 10: 430-439https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arr.2011.03.003
WHO Regional Office for Europe. Integrated care models: an overview. Available at: https://www.euro.who.int/en/health-topics/Health-systems/health-services-delivery/publications/2016/integrated-care-models-an-overview-2016. (Accessed 3 August 2020).
Report ISAT anni 2012-2018: Il sistema dei conti della sanità per l’Italia. Available at: https://www.istat.it/it/files/2017/07/CS-Sistema-dei-conti-della-sanit%C3%A0-anni-2012-2016.pdf. (Accessed 27 October 2020).
An impactability model for population health management in high-cost elderly heart failure patients: a capture method using ACG system Buja.
- Medical costs for osteoporosis-related fractures in high-risk medicare beneficiaries.J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 2018; 66 (Epub 2018 Oct 5. PMID: 30289961): 2298-2304https://doi.org/10.1111/jgs.15585
- Osteoporosis prevention and management: nonpharmacologic and lifestyle options.Clin. Obstet. Gynecol. 2013; 56 (PMID: 24047936): 703-710https://doi.org/10.1097/GRF.0b013e3182a9d15a
- Executive summary of the European guidance for the diagnosis and management of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women.Calcif. Tissue Int. 2019; 104 (PMID: 30796490; PMCID: PMC6422308): 235-238https://doi.org/10.1007/s00223-018-00512-x
- The epidemiology and management of postmenopausal osteoporosis: a viewpoint from Brazil.Clin. Interv. Aging. 2015; 10 (PMID: 25848234; PMCID: PMC4374649): 583-591https://doi.org/10.2147/CIA.S54614
Ministero della salute, direzione generale della programmazione sanitaria. Piano nazionale della cronicità. 2016. Available at: http://www.salute.gov.it/imgs/C_17_pubblicazioni_2584_allegato.pdf. (Accessed 27 October 2020).
- The manage care model - developing an evidence-based and expert-driven chronic care management model for patients with diabetes.Int. J. Integr. Care. 2020; 20 (Published 2020 Apr 22): 2https://doi.org/10.5334/ijic.4646
- Code of Professional Conduct for Case Managers with Standards, Rules, Procedures, and Penalties.2018 (Available at: https://ccmcertification.org/sites/default/files/docs/2018/ccmc-18-code-of-conduct_1.pdf. (Accessed 27 October 2020))
- Does case management for patients with heart failure based in the community reduce unplanned hospital admissions? A systematic review and meta-analysis.BMJ Open. 2016; 6 (PMID: 27165648; PMCID: PMC4874181)e010933https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2015-010933
- Facing the challenge of multimorbidity.J Comorb. 2016; 6 (Published 2016 Feb 17): 1-3https://doi.org/10.15256/joc.2016.6.71
- Primary care, specialist care, and chronic care: can they interlock?.Chest. 2010; 137: 8-10https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.09-1441
- Administrative database research has unique characteristics that can risk biased results.J. Clin. Epidemiol. 2012; 65: 126-131https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinepi.2011.08.002