- •Quality indicators are an essential way for the assessment of DM in PHC.
- •Integrated analysis of indicators can provide relevant information for planning.
- •Long-term DM complications are a frequent cause of hospitalizations.
- •Controls of blood glucose levels are associated with fewer hospitalizations for DM.
Purchase one-time access:Academic and Personal
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Primary health care for the 21st century, universal health coverage, and the Sustainable Development Goals.Lancet. 2018; 392: 1371-1372https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(18)32556-X
- Complex systems and human complexity in medicine.Complexus. 2004; 2: 2-6https://doi.org/10.1159/000087849
- Framework by Dave Snowden.(Available online: https://www.toolshero.com/decision-making/cynefin-framework-dave-snowden/. (Accessed 21 September 2020))2018
- Complex systems models in biology and medicine: generic properties and applications.Comput. Math. Methods Med. 2014; 2014: 580509https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/580509
Declaration of Alma-Ata. 1978. (1978). Available online: http://www.who.int/publications/almaata_declaration_en.pdf. (Accessed 21 September 2020).
- The Quality of Care: How Can It Be Assessed?.JAMA. 1988; 260 (PMID: 3045356): 1743-1748https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.260.12.1743
- Equity and noncommunicable disease reduction under the sustainable development goals.PLoS Med. 2015; 12: e1001872https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1001872
- Diabetes mellitus: the epidemic of the century.World J. Diabetes. 2015; 6: 850-867https://doi.org/10.4239/wjd.v6.i6.850
- Effects of diabetes definition on global surveillance of diabetes prevalence and diagnosis: a pooled analysis of 96 population-based studies with 331,288 participants.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2015; 3: 624-637https://doi.org/10.1016/S2213-8587(15)00129-1
- Review: relation between quality-of-care indicators for diabetes and patient outcomes: a systematic literature review.Med. Care Res. Rev.: MCRR. 2011; 68: 263-289https://doi.org/10.1177/1077558710394200
- Technical Series on Primary Health Care: Quality in Primary Health Care.(Available online: https://www.who.int/publications-detail/quality-in-primary-health-care. (Accessed 21 September 2020))2018
- Impact of a randomized control group on perceived effectiveness of a Disease Management Programme for diabetes type 2.Eur. J. Public Health. 2012; 22: 625-629https://doi.org/10.1093/eurpub/ckr147
Dictorate-General of Health. National Programme of the Prevention and Control of Diabetes. Portugal Available online: https://www.dgs.pt/programa-nacional-para-a-diabetes/programa-nacional-para-a-diabetes/national-programme-for-the-prevention-and-control-of-diabetes-pdf.aspx. (Accessed 20 September 2020).
- Diabetes Country Profiles 2016: Portugal.(Available online: https://www.who.int/diabetes/country-profiles/prt_en.pdf. (Accessed 22 September 2020))2016
- Diabetes Mellitus in Europe: a Problem at all Ages in all Countries. A Model for Prevention and Self Care.Acta Diabetology. 1990; 27: 181-183
- Young people with type 1 diabetes and their transition to adult services.Br. J. Commun. Nurs. 2013; 18: 14-18https://doi.org/10.12968/bjcn.2013.18
- Primary health care quality indicators: an umbrella review.PLoS One. 2019; 14: e0220888https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0220888
- The new NHS and diabetes care.Br. J. Diabetes Vasc. Dis. 2014; 14: 87-94https://doi.org/10.15277/bjdvd.2014.026
- What weekday? How acute? An analysis of reported planned and unplanned GP visits by older multi-morbid patients in the Patient Journey Record System database.J. Eval. Clin. Pract. 2014; 20: 522-526https://doi.org/10.1111/jep.12171
- Time to Deliver: Report of the WHO Independent High-level Commission on Noncommunicable Diseases.World Health Organization, Geneva2018 (Available online: https://apps.who.int/iris/handle/10665/272710. (Accessed 23 September 2020))
- Predicting diabetes clinical outcomes using longitudinal risk factor trajectories.BMC Med. Inform. Decis. Mak. 2020; 20: 6https://doi.org/10.1186/s12911-019-1009-3
- The Looming Crisis in the Health Workforce: How Can OECD Countries Respond? Paris: OECD.(Available online: http://www.oecd.org/els/health-systems/41509461.pdf. (Accessed 18 September 2020))2008
WHO NHWA National Health Workforce Accounts handbook 2017. ISBN 978-92-4-151311-1. Available online: https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/259360/9789241513111-eng.pdf?sequence=1. (Accessed 18 September 2020).
- Changes in Primary Care Graduate Medical Education Are Not Correlated With Indicators of Need: Are States Missing an Opportunity to Strengthen Their Primary Care Workforce?.Acad. Med.: J. Assoc. Am. Med. Coll. 2017; 92: 1280-1286https://doi.org/10.1097/ACM.0000000000001539
- Do hospitalisations for ambulatory care sensitive conditions reflect low access to primary care? An observational cohort study of primary care usage prior to hospitalisation.BMJ Open. 2017; 7: e015704https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2016-015704
- Defining ambulatory care sensitive conditions for adults in Portugal.BMC Health Serv. Res. 2020; 20: 754https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-020-05620-9
- Guide to Prevention Quality Indicators: Hospital Admission for Ambulatory Care Sensitive Conditions.(April 2002. Available online: https://www.ahrq.gov/downloads/pub/ahrqqi/pqiguide.pdf. (Accessed 17 September 2020))2002
- Preventable admissions on a general medicine service: prevalence, causes and comparison with AHRQ prevention quality Indicators-A cross-sectional analysis.J. Gen. Intern. Med. 2016; 31: 597-601https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-016-3615-4
- AHRQ QITM Version v6.0 Prevention Quality Indicators Technical Specifications Updates – Version v2019 (ICD 10-CM/PCS).(Available online: https://www.qualityindicators.ahrq.gov/Modules/PQI_TechSpec_ICD10_v2019.aspx. (Accessed 25 September 2020))2019
- Organizational aspects of primary care related to avoidable hospitalization: a systematic review.Fam. Pract. 2014; 31: 502-516https://doi.org/10.1093/fampra/cmu053
- Internments (No.) in Official Public Hospitals by Geographic Localization (NUTS - 2001); Annual.(Available online: https://www.ine.pt/xportal/xmain?xpid=INE&xpgid=ineindicadores&indOcorrCod=0007430&contexto=bd&selTab=tab2. (Accessed 20 September 2020))2011
- Health Statistics - 2017.(Available online: https://www.ine.pt/xportal/xmain?xpid=INE&xpgid=inepublicacoes&PUBLICACOESpubboui=320460040&PUBLICACOESmodo=2. (Accessed 20 September 2020))2017
SNS, Direção-Geral de Saúde Portugal. Available online: https://www.sns.gov.pt/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/bilhete_identidade_indicadores_contratualizacao_2017.pdf. (Accessed 20 September 2020).
BI-CSP - Portuguese Health System Control Panel. (2020). Available online: https://bicsp.min-saude.pt/pt/investigacao/Paginas/Matrizindicadorescsp_publico.aspx?isdlg=1. (Accessed 20 September 2020).
- Epidemiology for the Health Sciences: a Primer on Epidemiologic Concepts and Their Uses.Springfield, IL1974
- Age standardization of rates: a new who standard.Tech. Rep. 2001; (Available online: https://api.semanticscholar.org/CorpusID:5431703. (Accessed 17 September 2020))
- Quality indicators in type 2 diabetes patient care: analysis per care-complexity level.Diabetol. Metab. Syndr. 2019; 11: 34https://doi.org/10.1186/s13098-019-0428-8
- Quality indicators for type-2 diabetes care in practice guidelines: an example from six European countries.Prim. Care Diabetes. 2007; 1: 17-23https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pcd.2006.07.001
- Swiss quality and outcomes framework: quality indicators for diabetes management in Swiss primary care based on electronic medical records.Gerontology. 2014; 60: 263-273https://doi.org/10.1159/000357370
- Quality indicators and performance measures in diabetes care.Curr. Diab. Rep. 2014; 14: 472https://doi.org/10.1007/s11892-013-0472-y
- Monitoring for improvement: quality indicators for diabetes care.Prim. Care Diabetes. 2007; 1: 3-4https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pcd.2006.11.002
- Impact of long-term complications on quality of life in patients with type 2 diabetes not using insulin.Value Health. 2001; 4: 392-400https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1524-4733.2001.45029.x
- Prevention of long term complications in diabetes.Arch. Dis. Child. 1994; 70: 258-259https://doi.org/10.1136/adc.70.4.258
- Epidemiology of diabetes and diabetes-related complications.Phys. Ther. 2008; 88: 1254-1264https://doi.org/10.2522/ptj.20080020
- Assessing primary care data quality.Int. J. Health Care Qual. Assur. 2018; 31 (PMID: 29687760): 203-213https://doi.org/10.1108/IJHCQA-08-2016-0111
- From patient care to research: a validation study examining the factors contributing to data quality in a primary care electronic medical record database.BMC Fam. Pract. 2015; 16: 11https://doi.org/10.1186/s12875-015-0223-z
- The effects of audit and feedback and electronic referrals on the quality of primary care referral letters.J. Prim. Health Care. 2014; 6 (PMID: 25485329): 324-327