- •Remote patient monitoring (RPM) is an effective, accessible tool for diabetes care.
- •Rural and underserved populations achieved significant improvements in HbA1c.
- •HbA1c reductions were sustained at 6 and 12 months of RPM program participation.
- •Patients of varying demographics and clinic types achieved similar clinical benefit.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- National Diabetes Statistics Report.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services, Atlanta, GA2017
- Economic costs of diabetes in the U.S. in 2012.Diabetes Care. 2013; 36: 1033-1046
- National Research Council (US) Institute of Medicine (US) Woolf S.H. Aron L. U.S. Health in International Perspective: Shorter Lives, Poorer Health. National Academies Press (US), Washington (DC)2013 (Summary. Available from:)
- Influence of race, ethnicity and social determinants of health on diabetes outcomes.Am. J. Med. Sci. 2016; 351: 366-373https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjms.2016.01.008
- Relationship between multiple measures of financial hardship and glycemic control in older adults with diabetes.J. Appl. Gerontol. 2021; 40: 162-169https://doi.org/10.1177/0733464820911545
- Racial/ethnic differences in glycemic control in older adults with type 2 diabetes: United States 2003–2014.Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health. 2020; 17 (pii: E950)https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph17030950
- Addressing Health Disparities in Diabetes.(Available from:)2019 (Accessed 4 May 2020)
The Distribution of the U.S. Primary Care Workforce. Content last reviewed July 2018. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD. https://www.ahrq.gov/research/findings/factsheets/primary/pcwork3/index.html.
- County Health Rankings & Roadmaps.2019 (Accessed 4 May 2020)www.countyhealthrankings.org
- Rural-nonrural differences in telemedicine use for mental and substance use disorders among medicaid beneficiaries.Psychiatr. Serv. 2020; 71: 756-764https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ps.201900444
- Smartphone-enabled health coach intervention for people with diabetes from a modest socioeconomic strata community: single-arm longitudinal feasibility study.J. Med. Internet Res. 2014; 16: e149https://doi.org/10.2196/jmir.3180
- Rural patients’ access to mobile phones and willingness to receive mobile phone-based pharmacy and other health technology services: a pilot study.Telemed. J. E Health. 2014; 20: 182-185https://doi.org/10.1089/tmj.2013.0150
- Diabetes technology: review of the 2019 American Diabetes Association standards of medical care in diabetes.Ann. Intern. Med. 2019; 171: 415-420https://doi.org/10.7326/M19-1638
- Randomized controlled trial of technology-assisted case management in low income adults with type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Technol. Ther. 2017; 19: 476-482https://doi.org/10.1089/dia.2017.0006
- The effect of a cellular-enabled glucose meter on glucose control for patients with diabetes: prospective pre-post Study.JMIR Diabetes. 2019; 4: e14799https://doi.org/10.2196/14799
- Mississippi diabetes telehealth network: a collaborative approach to chronic care management.Telemed. J. E Health. 2020; 26: 184-189https://doi.org/10.1089/tmj.2018.0334
- Barriers to remote health interventions for type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and proposed classification scheme.J. Med. Internet Res. 2017; 19: e28https://doi.org/10.2196/jmir.6382
- Smartphone ownership and perspectives on health apps among a vulnerable population in East Harlem, New York.Mhealth. 2018; 4: 31
- Program completion and glycemic control in a remote patient monitoring program for diabetes management: does gender matter?.Diabetes Res. Clin. Pract. 2019; 159: 107944https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2019.107944
- Electronic patient-generated health data to facilitate disease prevention and health promotion: scoping review.J. Med. Internet Res. 2019; 21: e13320https://doi.org/10.2196/13320
- Research electronic data capture (REDCap)—a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J. Biomed. Inform. 2009; 42: 377-381https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbi.2008.08.010
- Telemonitoring and team-based management of glycemic control on people with type 2 diabetes: a cluster-randomized controlled trial.J. Gen. Intern. Med. 2020; 35 (Epub 11 September 2019): 87-94https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-019-05316-9
- Shared care combined with telecare improves glycemic control of diabetic patients in a rural underserved community.Telemed. J. E Health. 2014; 20: 175-178https://doi.org/10.1089/tmj.2013.0037
⋆We thank Kimberly McGhee of MUSC’s South Carolina Clinical and Translational Research Institute for editorial assistance.