- •Lack of knowledge is a barrier to diabetic retinopathy (DR) screening.
- •Most participants knew diabetes can affect the eye and cause blindness.
- •Knowledge beyond this was suboptimal including recommended screening intervals.
- •Those who were younger, better educated and who had worse DR had greater knowledge.
- •These data support the need for targeted intensified eye-related education.
Abbreviations:DR (diabetic retinopathy), eGFR (estimated glomerular filtration rate), FDS2 (Fremantle Diabetes Study Phase II), KS (knowledge score), NEI (National Eye Institute), NPDR (non-proliferative diabetic retinopathy), PDR (proliferative diabetic retinopathy), VRQoL (vision related quality of life)
- Global causes of blindness and distance vision impairment 1990–2020: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Lancet Glob. Health. 2017; 5: e1221-1234
- Diabetic retinopathy.Lancet. 2010; 376: 124-136
- Awareness of diabetic retinopathy and its association with attendance for systematic screening at the public primary care setting: a cross-sectional study in Hong Kong.BMJ Open. 2018; 8e019989
- Prevention of Blindness from Diabetes Mellitus: Report of a WHO Consultation in Geneva, Switzerland.World Health Organisation, Geneva, Switzerland2005: 1-48
- Diabetic retinopathy and diabetic macular edema.Dev. Ophthalmol. 2016; 55: 137-146
- Incidence and determinants of intraocular lens implantation in type 2 diabetes: the Fremantle diabetes study phase II.Diabetes Care. 2019; 42: 288-296
- Presence and risk factors for glaucoma in patients with diabetes.Curr. Diabetes Rep. 2016; 16: 124
- Systematic review on barriers and enablers for access to diabetic retinopathy screening services in different income settings.PLoS One. 2019; 14e0198979
- Awareness and practices on eye effects among people with diabetes in rural Tamil Nadu, India.Afr. Health Sci. 2016; 16: 210-217
- Assessment of awareness of diabetic retinopathy and utilization of eye care services among Turkish diabetic patients.Prim. Care Diabetes. 2013; 7: 297-302
- Knowledge, beliefs and practices of patients with diabetic retinopathy at the University Hospital of the West Indies, Jamaica.J. Community Health. 2016; 41: 584-592
- Awareness of diabetes and diabetic retinopathy among a group of diabetic patients in main public hospitals in Damascus, Syria during the Syrian crisis.BMC Health Serv. Res. 2019; 19: 549
- Knowledge, attitude and practice of diabetic retinopathy amongst the diabetic patients of AlJouf and Hail Province of Saudi Arabia.J. Clin. Diagn. Res. 2016; 10: NC05-NC08
- Knowledge of the ocular effects of diabetes among the general population of Australia and the members of Diabetes Australia.Clin. Exp. Optom. 2003; 86: 91-103
- Cohort profile: the Fremantle diabetes study.Int. J. Epidemiol. 2013; 42: 412-421
- Proposed international clinical diabetic retinopathy and diabetic macular edema disease severity scales.Ophthalmology. 2003; 110: 1677-1682
- Classification of diabetic retinopathy and diabetic macular edema.World J. Diabetes. 2013; 4: 290-294
- Knowledge and awareness about diabetes mellitus and diabetic retinopathy in suburban population of a South Indian state and its practice among the patients with diabetes mellitus: a population-based study.Indian J. Ophthalmol. 2016; 64: 272-276
- I. For the national eye institute visual function questionnaire field test, development of the 25-list-item national eye institute visual function questionnaire.Archiv. Ophthalmol. 2001; 119: 1050-1058
- An anthropometric risk index based on combining height, weight, waist, and hip measurements.J. Obes. 2016; 20168094275
- Awareness, knowledge, and practices related to diabetic retinopathy among diabetic patients in primary healthcare centers at Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.J. Fam. Med. Prim. Care. 2019; 8: 373-377
- The prevalence of diabetic retinopathy in Australian adults with self-reported diabetes: the national eye health survey.Ophthalmology. 2017; 124: 977-984
- Factors influencing patient adherence with diabetic eye screening in rural communities: a qualitative study.PLoS One. 2018; 13e0206742
- Guidelines for the Management of Diabetic Retinopathy.Department of Health and Ageing, 2008: 1-183
- Knowledge, attitude and practices on diabetes, hypertension and diabetic retinopathy and the factors that motivate screening for diabetes and diabetic retinopathy in a pyramidal model of eye health care.Rural Remote Health. 2018; 18: 4304
- Diabetic retinopathy awareness and associations with multiple comorbidities: insights from DIAMOND study.Indian J. Endocrinol. Metab. 2018; 22: 30-35
- A systematic review of risk factors for cataract in type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Metab. Res. Rev. 2019; 35: e3073
- Glaucoma.Lancet. 2017; 390: 2183-2193
- The relationship between health, education, and health literacy: results from the Dutch Adult Literacy and Life Skills Survey.J. Health Commun. 2013; 18 Suppl 1: 172-184
- The validity of self-report of eye diseases in participants with vision loss in the National Eye Health Survey.Sci. Rep. 2017; 7: 1-8
- Prevalence, awareness, and risk factors of diabetic retinopathy among adults with known type 2 diabetes mellitus in an urban community in China.Ophthalmic Epidemiol. 2017; 24: 188-194