- •The prevalence of uncontrolled HbA1c among T2DM patients was 77.8%.
- •Half of T2DM patients with inadequate or marginal HL have uncontrolled HbA1c.
- •Prevalence of uncontrolled HbA1c with diet/OH alone is lower compared to mixed treatment.
- •Older age and high HL induce reduction in the prevalence of uncontrolled HbA1c.
- •Every year increase since T2DM onset, implies 1.1% increase in uncontrolled HbA1c prevalence.
Purchase one-time access:Academic and Personal
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Nielsen-Bohlman L. Panzer A.M. Kindig D.A. Health Literacy: A Prescription to End Confusion. National Academies Press (US) Copyright 2004 by the National Academy of Sciences. All rights reserved, Washington (DC)2004
- The role of health literacy in diabetes knowledge, self-care, and glycemic control: a meta-analysis.J. Gen. Int. Med. 2019; 34: 1007-1017
- Health literacy: implications for family medicine.Fam. Med. 2004; 36: 595-598
- Health literacy: the gap between physicians and patients.Am. Fam. Phys. 2005; 72: 463-468
- Health literacy and knowledge of chronic disease.Patient Educ. Couns. 2003; 51: 267-275
- Teaching patients with low literacy skills.Am. J. Nurs. 1996; 96: 16M
- Association of Health Literacy with Diabetes Outcomes. Vol. 288. 2002: 475-482
- Impact of Health Literacy on Diabetes Outcomes: A Cross-Sectional Study from Lahore, Pakistan. Vol. 156. 2018: 8-14
- The correlates of chronic disease-related health literacy and its components among men: a systematic review.BMC Public Health. 2015; 15: 589
- Prevalence of health literacy and its correlates among patients with type II diabetes in Kuwait: a population based study.Diabetes Res. Clin. Pract. 2018; 141
- Evaluation of instruments to assess health literacy in Arabic language among Iraqis.Res. Soc. Adm. Pharm. 2015; 11: 803-813
- Global and regional diabetes prevalence estimates for 2019 and projections for 2030 and 2045: Results from the International Diabetes Federation Diabetes Atlas, 9(th) edition.Diabetes Res. Clin. Pract. 2019; 157: 107843
- Use of glycated haemoglobin (HbA1c) in diagnosis of diabetes mellitus: abbreviated report of a WHO consultation.World Health Organization, 2011
- Addressing Health literacy and numeracy to improve diabetes education and care.Diabetes Spectrum. 2010; 23: 238-243
- Global estimates of diabetes prevalence for 2013 and projections for 2035.Diabetes Res. Clin. Pract. 2014; 103: 137-149
- WHO Guidelines Approved by the Guidelines Review Committee, Use of Glycated Haemoglobin (HbA1c) in the Diagnosis of Diabetes Mellitus: Abbreviated Report of a WHO Consultation.World Health Organization Copyright (c) World Health Organization 2011, Geneva2011
- Pakistani moslems with Type 2 diabetes mellitus: effect of sex, literacy skills, known diabetic complications and place of care on diabetic knowledge, reported self-monitoring management and glycaemic control.Diabet. Med. 1999; 16: 591-597
- Functional health literacy and glycaemic control in older adults with type 2 diabetes: a cross-sectional study.BMJ Open. 2014; 4: e004180
- Association of health literacy with type 2 diabetes mellitus self-management and clinical outcomes within the primary care setting of Iran.Aust. J. Prim. Health. 2018; 24: 162-170
- Health literacy and health outcomes in diabetes: a systematic review.J. Gen. Intern. Med. 2013; 28: 444-452
- Literacy and health outcomes: a cross-sectional study in 1002 adults with diabetes.BMC Fam. Pract. 2006; 7: 49
- Health literacy, diabetes self-care, and glycemic control in adults with type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Technol. Ther. 2010; 12: 913-919
- Association of health literacy and medication self-efficacy with medication adherence and diabetes control.Patient Pref. Adher. 2018; 12: 793
- Update on health literacy and diabetes.Diabetes Educ. 2014; 40: 581-604
- Prevalence of prediabetes and its association with obesity among college students in Kuwait: a cross-sectional study.Diabetes Res. Clin. Pract. 2016; 119: 71-74
- Associations of adiposity and parental diabetes with prediabetes among adolescents in Kuwait: a cross-sectional study.Pediatr. Diabetes. 2018; 19: 1362-1369
- The prevalence of overweight and obesity in an adult Kuwaiti population in 2014.Front. Endocrinol. 2019; 10
- The prevalence of pre-diabetes and diabetes in the Kuwaiti adult population in 2014.Diabetes Res. Clin. Pract. 2018; 144: 213-223
- Glycemic control in Kuwaiti diabetes patients treated with glucose-lowering medication.Prim. Care Diabetes. 2020; 14: 311-316
- The test of functional health literacy in adults.J. Gen. Intern. Med. 1995; 10: 537-541
- Development of a brief test to measure functional health literacy.Patient Educ. Counsel. 1999; 38: 33-42
- The cost of dichotomising continuous variables.BMJ. 2006; 332: 1080
- Ophthalmic statistics note: the perils of dichotomising continuous variables.Br. J. Ophthalmol. 2014; 98: 841-843
- Health care and health status and outcomes for patients with type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2000; 23: 754-758
- The influence of health literacy and depression on diabetes self-management: a cross-sectional study.J. Diabetes Res. 2016; 2016: 3458969
- Health literacy, complication awareness, and diabetic control in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.J. Adv. Nurs. 2008; 62: 74-83
- The effect of literacy level on health related-quality of life, self-efficacy and self-management behaviors in diabetic patients.Acta Med. Iran. 2011; 49: 153-158
- Inadequate functional health literacy among patients at two public hospitals.JAMA. 1995; 274: 1677-1682
- Health literacy and its influencing factors in Iranian diabetic patients.Med. J. Islam. Republic Iran. 2015; 29: 230