- •We explore HCPs’ knowledge of problems associated with diabetes and driving.
- •We evaluate the consistency of counseling on safety for drivers with diabetes.
- •We conducted a cross-sectional survey-based study among HCPs in Saudi Arabia.
- •Only 5.7% of HCPs correctly answered all the driving safety questions.
- •Only 12.6% of HCPs always counseled their patients about driving safety.
- Global estimates of diabetes prevalence for 2013 and projections for 2035.Diabetes Res. Clin. Pract. 2014; 103: 137-149https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2013.11.002
- Status of the diabetes epidemic in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, 2013.Int. J. Public Health. 2014; : 1011-1021https://doi.org/10.1007/s00038-014-0612-4
International diabetes federation MENA Members, (n.d.). https://idf.org/our-network/regions-members/middle-east-and-north-africa/members/46-saudi-arabia.html (Accessed 16 May 2021).
- Erratum to “Diabetes and Driving”: Canadian Journal of Diabetes 2018;42(S1):S150-S153 (Canadian Journal of Diabetes (2018) 42(S1) (S150–S153), (S1499267117308286) (10.1016/j.jcjd.2017.10.018)).Can. J. Diabetes. 2018; 42: 576https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcjd.2018.08.196
- Diabetes and driving safety: science, ethics, legality and practice.Am. J. Med. Sci. 2013; 345: 263-265https://doi.org/10.1097/MAJ.0b013e31828bf8d7
- Hypoglycemia-induced cognitive dysfunction in diabetes mellitus: effect of hypoglycemia unawareness.Physiol. Behav. 1995; 58: 501-511https://doi.org/10.1016/0031-9384(95)00085-W
- Driving and insulin-treated diabetes CVD risk and bariatric surgery View project, Artic.J. Diabetes Nurs. 2015; 19 (https://www.researchgate.net/publication/280729989 (Accessed 16 May 2021)): 254-259
- Progressive hypoglycemia’s impact on driving simulation performance: occurrence, awareness, and correction.Diabetes Care. 2000; 23: 163-170https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.23.2.163
- Diabetes, hypoglycemia and driving instructions in Switzerland.Ther. Umschau. 2020; 77: 328-332https://doi.org/10.1024/0040-5930/a001199
- The perception of safe driving ability during hypoglycemia in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus.Am. J. Med. 1999; 107: 246-253https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9343(99)00221-1
- The decision not to drive during hypoglycemia in patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes according to hypoglycemia awareness.Diabetes Care. 2007; 30: 2822-2826https://doi.org/10.2337/dc06-1544
- Driving mishaps among individuals with type 1 diabetes: a prospective study.Diabetes Care. 2009; 32: 2177-2180https://doi.org/10.2337/dc08-1510
- Diabetes and driving.Diabetes Care. 2013; 36: S80-S85https://doi.org/10.2337/dc13-S080
- A global survey of licensing restrictions for drivers with diabetes.Br. J. Diabetes Vasc. Dis. 2017; 17: 3-10https://doi.org/10.15277/bjd.2017.117
Diabetes Canada, Clinical Practice Guidelines - Full Guidelines, (n.d.). http://guidelines.diabetes.ca/cpg (Accessed 16 May 2021).
Diabetes and driving - GOV.UK, (n.d.). https://www.gov.uk/diabetes-driving (Accessed 16 May 2021).
- Prevalence of prediabetes, diabetes, and its associated risk factors among males in Saudi Arabia: a population-based survey.J. Diabetes Res. 2018; 20182194604https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/2194604
- Safe driving practices and factors associated with motor-vehicle collisions among people with insulin-treated diabetes mellitus: results from the Diabetes and Driving (DAD) study.J. Saf. Res. 2018; 65: 83-88https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsr.2018.03.003
- Insulin-treated diabetes: awareness and adherence to driving recommendations.Pract. Diabetes. 2015; 32 (206–206)https://doi.org/10.1002/pdi.1958
- Blood glucose testing by drivers with diabetes: a survey of glucose meter users.Br. J. Diabetes Vasc. Dis. 2015; 15: 20-23https://doi.org/10.15277/bjdvd.2015.003
- Driving with diabetes: what is the Portuguese doctors’ and patients’ knowledge?.Rev. Port. Endocrinol. Diabetes Metab. 2015; 10: 14-17https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rpedm.2014.07.003
- Adoptation of cognitive function to hypoglycemia in healthy men.Diabetes Care. 2000; 23: 1059-1066https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.23.8.1059
- Diabetes and driving recommendations among healthcare providers in Saudi Arabia: a significant gap that requires action.Saudi Med. J. 2018; 39: 386-394https://doi.org/10.15537/smj.2018.4.22179
- Limited knowledge of safe driving practice among drivers with diabetes in Armenia: association with greater risk of motor vehicle accidents.J. Diabetes Mellit. 2019; 09: 14-23https://doi.org/10.4236/jdm.2019.91002
- Multi-country retrospective observational study of the management and outcomes of patients with type 2 diabetes during Ramadan in 2010 (CREED).Diabet. Med. 2015; 32: 819-828https://doi.org/10.1111/dme.12685
Canada Day… by the numbers, (n.d.). https://www.statcan.gc.ca/eng/dai/smr08/2017/smr08_219_2017 (Accessed 11 April 2021).
Population Projections for Canada and its Regions, 2011 to 2036, (n.d.). https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/91-551-x/91-551-x2017001-eng.htm (Accessed 15 April 2021).
- Diabetes, driving and fasting during Ramadan: the interplay between secular and religious law.BMJ Open Diabetes Res. Care. 2018; 6: 520https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjdrc-2018-000520
- Inclusion of medical fitness to drive in medical postgraduate training curricula.J. R. Coll. Physicians Edinb. 2020; 50: 309-315https://doi.org/10.4997/JRCPE.2020.322
- The use of a diabetes electronic medical record template leads to consistent improvement of screening for complications of type 1 diabetes mellitus.Pediatrics. 2018; 142 (616–616)https://doi.org/10.1542/PEDS.142.1_MEETINGABSTRACT.616
- A physician reminder to improve postpartum diabetes screening in women with gestational diabetes mellitus.Diabetes Res. Clin. Pract. 2012; 95: 352-357https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2011.10.023