- •‘Do-Not-Do’ recommendations were introduced in the UK to reduce inappropriate prescribing.
- •We piloted two dashboards to flag inappropriate prescribing of metformin and aspirin.
- •At baseline, most metformin prescriptions were appropriate; only a fifth were for aspirin.
- •Use of the dashboard reduced inappropriate prescribing of aspirin.
- •It was feasible to use a dashboard to flag inappropriate prescribing.
- 2019 ACC/AHA Guideline on the Primary Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease: A Report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines.Circulation. 2019; 140: e596-e646
- Polypharmacy as a risk factor in the treatment of type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Spectr. 2006; 19: 13-16
- 2019 ESC Guidelines on diabetes, pre-diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases developed in collaboration with the EASD.Eur. Heart J. 2020; 41: 255-323
- Multimorbidity, polypharmacy, referrals, and adverse drug events: are we doing things well?.Br. J. Gen. Pract. 2012; 62: e821-6
- Protecting Resources, Promoting Value: a Doctor’s Guide to Cutting Waste in Clinical Care.Academy of Medical Royal Colleges, Centre for Sustainable Healthcare, 2014
- Disinvestment: the UK experience.15th Annual European Congress. 2012;
- Reducing Inappropriate Polypharmacy in Primary Care Through Pharmacy-led Interventions.([cited 2020 5th January]. Available from:)2019https://www.pharmaceutical-journal.com/research/research-article/reducing-inappropriate-polypharmacy-in-primary-care-through-pharmacy-led-interventions/20207385.article?firstPass=false
- An educational intervention, involving feedback of routinely collected computer data, to improve cardiovascular disease management in UK primary care.Methods Inf. Med. 2007; 46: 57-62
- A systematic review of electronic audit and feedback: intervention effectiveness and use of behaviour change theory.Implement. Sci. 2017; 12: 61
- The enhancing quality of prescribing practices for older veterans discharged from the emergency department (EQUIPPED) potentially inappropriate medication dashboard: a suitable alternative to the in-person academic detailing and standardized feedback reports of traditional EQUIPPED?.Clin. Ther. 2020; 42: 573-582
- Improving medication adherence for chronic disease using integrated e-technologies.Stud. Health Technol. Inform. 2013; 192: 929
- Type 2 Diabetes in Adults: Management (NICE Guideline 28).2015 ([cited 2021 6th January]. Available from: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng28/resources/type-2-diabetes-in-adults-management-pdf-1837338615493)
- Royal College of general practitioners research and surveillance centre (RCGP RSC) sentinel network: a cohort profile.BMJ Open. 2016; 6e011092
- RCGP research and surveillance centre: 50 years’ surveillance of influenza, infections, and respiratory conditions.Br. J. Gen. Pract. 2017; 67: 440-441
- The use of financial incentives to help improve health outcomes: is the quality and outcomes framework fit for purpose? A systematic review.J. Public Health Oxf. (Oxf.). 2014; 36: 251-258
- Real-world evidence studies into treatment adherence, thresholds for intervention and disparities in treatment in people with type 2 diabetes in the UK.BMJ Open. 2016; 6e012801
- Do Not Do Recommendation.([cited 2021 22nd January]. Available from:)2016https://www.nice.org.uk/donotdo/in-adults-with-type-2-diabetes-review-the-dose-of-metformin-if-the-estimated-glomerular-filtration-rate-egfr-is-below-45-ml-minute-1-73m2-stop-metformin-if-the-egfr-is-below-30-ml-minute-1-73m2-prescribe-metformin-with-caution-for-those-at-risk-of-a-sudde
- Do Not Do Recommendation.([cited 2021 22nd January]. Available from:)2015https://www.nice.org.uk/donotdo/do-not-offer-aspirin-for-the-primary-prevention-of-cardiovascular-disease-to-adults-with-type-1-diabetes
- Age-specific risks, severity, time course, and outcome of bleeding on long-term antiplatelet treatment after vascular events: a population-based cohort study.Lancet. 2017; 390: 490-499
- Effect of aspirin on cardiovascular events and bleeding in the healthy elderly.N. Engl. J. Med. 2018; 379: 1509-1518
- Aspirin therapy in diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2004; 27: s72-s73
- Clinical dashboards: impact on workflow, care quality, and patient safety.Crit. Care Nurs. Q. 2006; 29: 354-361
- A diabetes dashboard and physician efficiency and accuracy in accessing data needed for high-quality diabetes care.Ann. Fam. Med. 2011; 9: 398-405
- Audit-based education lowers systolic blood pressure in chronic kidney disease: the quality improvement in CKD (QICKD) trial results.Kidney Int. 2013; 84: 609-620
- Using health information technology to improve adherence to opioid prescribing guidelines in primary care.Clin. J. Pain. 2015; 31: 573-579
- Evaluation of a pharmacist-led actionable audit and feedback intervention for improving medication safety in UK primary care: an interrupted time series analysis.PLoS Med. 2020; 17e1003286
- Effects of aspirin for primary prevention in persons with diabetes mellitus.N. Engl. J. Med. 2018; 379: 1529-1539
- Costs and quality of life associated with acute upper gastrointestinal bleeding in the UK: cohort analysis of patients in a cluster randomised trial.BMJ Open. 2015; 5e007230
- Long-term use of aspirin and the risk of gastrointestinal bleeding.Am. J. Med. 2011; 124: 426-433
- Reports of lactic acidosis attributed to metformin, 2015-2018.Diabetes Care. 2020; 43: 244-246
- Metformin benefits: another example for alternative energy substrate mechanism?.Diabetes Care. 2021; 44: 647-654
- Association of metformin use with risk of lactic acidosis across the range of kidney function: a community-based cohort study.JAMA Intern. Med. 2018; 178: 903-910