- •Single pill drug combinations can improve adherence & reduce pill burden.
- •A 1.4-fold increase in prescriptions of metformin-based combinations (2015–2020).
- •Metformin–sitagliptin & metformin–pioglitazone were the most & least prescribed drugs.
- •Metformin-SGLT2 inhibitors had seen a significant rise in their prescriptions.
There has been an increase in prescribing and costs of oral hypoglycaemic agents in England and other countries. This study aims to investigate the trends in prescriptions, costs, and adverse events of metformin and metformin-based single pill drug combinations from 2015 to 2020 and explore why changes in use or cost are occurring.
Prescriptions and costs data from Prescription Cost Analysis database and Interactive Drug Analysis Profiles presenting all suspected ADRs reported for each drug were examined. Pharmacy level prices were also obtained. Linear regression analysis was used to investigate the trends in prescribing and costs.
Prescribing and costs of metformin-based single pill drug combinations (as a percent mean change per year) saw an increase of 8.78% (95% Cl: 7.45%, 10.11%, p = 0.001) and 5.17% (95% Cl: 2.13%, 8.22%, p = 0.009) on average each year, respectively. Metformin was the most prescribed monotherapy drug between 2015 and 2020. The cost of prescribing metformin (as a proportion of total oral hypoglycaemic agents) has been reduced from 30% in 2015 to 17% in 2020. Metformin-dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitor (e.g., metformin–sitagliptin) combination was the most popular metformin-based single pill drug combination. The number of adverse drug reactions per million items dispensed shows that metformin has the lowest adverse drug reactions per million items compared to other oral hypoglycaemic drugs.
Overall, an increase in prescription items can be seen for metformin-based single pill drug combinations along with an increase in their costs in primary care in England between 2015 and 2020. There was a declining trend for the number of ADRs reported per million prescription items dispensed for metformin-containing single pill combinations, even though their prescription rate increased.
Abbreviations:ADR (adverse drug reactions), DPP4 (dipeptidyl-peptidase 4), MHRA (Medicines and Healthcare Product Regulatory Agency), NHS (National Health Service), NICE (National Institute for Health and Care Excellence), PCA (Prescription Cost Analysis), SGLT2 (sodium–glucose co-transporter-2), UK (United Kingdom)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Primary Care Diabetes
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Diabetes Prevalence 2019.(Retrieved from: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/professionals/position-statements-reports/statistics/diabetes-prevalence-2019. (Accessed 2 February 2021))2019
- Trends in incidence, prevalence and prescribing in type 2 diabetes mellitus between 2000 and 2013 in primary care: a retrospective cohort study.BMJ Open. 2016; 6: 1-11
- Cost of Diabetes.(Retrieved from:)2019
- Type 2 Diabetes.(Retrieved from: https://bnf.nice.org.uk/treatment-summary/type-2-diabetes.html. (Accessed 3 February 2021))2021
- Oral hypoglycaemic agents.Pract. Diabetes Int. 2003; 20: S1-S4
- Practical applications for single pill combinations in the cardiovascular continuum.Card. Fail. Rev. 2017; 03: 40
- Pill burden in patients with type 2 diabetes in Germany: subanalysis from the prospective, noninterventional PROVIL study.Clin. Diabetes. 2015; 33: 55-61
- Safety, efficacy, and bioavailability of fixed-dose combinations in type 2 diabetes mellitus: a systematic updated review.Curr. Ther. Res. 2017; 84: 4-9
- Bioequivalence, food effect, and steady‐state assessment of dapagliflozin/metformin extended‐release fixed‐dose combination tablets relative to single‐component dapagliflozin and metformin extended‐release tablets in healthy subjects.Clin. Ther. 2015; 37: 1517-1528
- Bioequivalence of sitagliptin/metformin fixed-dose combination tablets and concomitant administration of Sitagliptin and metformin in healthy adult subjects.Clin. Drug Investig. 2010; 30: 855-866
- Long-term trends in the prescription of antidiabetic drugs: real-world evidence from the diabetes registry Tyrol 2012–2018.BMJ Open Diabetes Res. Care. 2020; 8: 1-9
NHSBSA Prescription Cost Analysis (PCA). https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/prescription-data/dispensing-data/prescription-cost-analysis-pca-data. (Accessed 6 February2021).
- Search GP Prescribing Data.(Retrieved from: https://openprescribing.net/analyse/. (Accessed 7 February 2021))2021
- Interactive Drug Analysis Profiles.(Retrieved from https://yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk/iDAP/. (Accessed 11 February 2021))2021
- Bank of England Infaltion Calculator.2020
- Adverse drug reaction reporting and prescribing trends of drugs for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in primary care England, 2010–2019.J. Atten. Disord. 2021; 00: 1-9
- Type 2 Diabetes in Adults: Management [NICE Guideline No. 28].2015
- Clinical outcomes of metformin use in populations with chronic kidney disease, congestive heart failure, or chronic liver disease.Ann. Intern. Med. 2017; 166: 191
- Glucophage Tablets and Glucophage XR Extended-release Tablets.2017
- Effect of initial combination therapy with sitagliptin, a dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitor, and metformin on glycemic control in patients with type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2007; 30: 1979-1987
- Efficacy and safety of linagliptin/metformin single-pill combination as initial therapy in drug-naïve Asian patients with type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Res. Clin. Pract. 2017; 124: 48-56
- Efficacy and safety of sitagliptin and the fixed-dose combination of sitagliptin and metformin vs. pioglitazone in drug-naïve patients with type 2 diabetes.Int. J. Clin. Pract. 2011; 65: 930-938
- Efficacy and safety of sitagliptin and metformin as initial combination therapy and as monotherapy over 2 years in patients with type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Obes. Metab. 2010; 12: 442-451
- Fixed-dose combination antidiabetic therapy: real-world factors associated with prescribing choices and relationship with patient satisfaction and compliance.Adv. Ther. 2012; 29: 26-40
- Fixed-dose combinations improve medication compliance: a meta-analysis.Am. J. Med. 2007; 120: 713-719
- Regimen simplification and medication adherence: fixed-dose versus loose-dose combination therapy for type 2 diabetes.PLoS One. 2021; 16 (Published 4 May 2021): e0250993
- Sitagliptin Study 020 Group. Efficacy and safety of the dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitor sitagliptin added to ongoing metformin therapy in patients with type 2 diabetes inadequately controlled with metformin alone.Diabetes Care. 2006; 29: 2638-2643
- Rang & Dale’s Pharmacology.eighth ed. Elsevier, 2016
- European Medicines Agency Recommends New Contra-indications and Warnings for Pioglitazone to Reduce Small Increased Risk of Bladder Cancer.2011https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/news/european-medicines-agency-recommends-new-contra-indications-warnings-pioglitazone-reduce-small
- Cardiometabolic effects of a new class of antidiabetic agents.Clin. Ther. 2015; 37: 1178-1194
- Benefits and harms of sodium-glucose Co-transporter 2 inhibitors in patients with type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis.PLoS One. 2016; 11: 1-23
- SGLT2 inhibitors for primary and secondary prevention of cardiovascular and renal outcomes in type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis of cardiovascular outcome trials.Lancet. 2019; 393: 31-39
- Empagliflozin, cardiovascular outcomes, and mortality in type 2 diabetes.N. Engl. J. Med. 2015; 373: 2117-2128
- Improved glucose control with weight loss, lower insulin doses, and no increased hypoglycemia with empagliflozin added to titrated multiple daily injections of insulin in obese inadequately controlled type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2014; 37: 1815-1823
- Canagliflozin and cardiovascular and renal events in type 2 diabetes.N. Engl. J. Med. 2017; 377: 644-657
- Long-term efficacy of dapagliflozin in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus receiving high doses of insulin: a randomized trial.Ann. Intern. Med. 2012; 156: 405-415
Published online: January 31, 2022
Accepted: January 23, 2022
Received in revised form: January 17, 2022
Received: November 8, 2021
© 2022 Primary Care Diabetes Europe. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.