- •There has not been a systematic examination of variation in phenotypical clusters by ethnicity.
- •Insulin deficiency cluster was more frequent than insulin resistant cluster among Asians.
- •Clusters with combined insulin deficiency and resistance were reported in Indian and Chinese populations.
- •Clusters have earlier age at diagnosis, lower BMI and poorer beta cell function among Asians, relative to Non-Asians.
Abbreviations:BMI (Body mass index), HbA1c (Hemoglobin A1c), HOMA (Homeostatic Model Assessment), SAID (Severe Autoimmune Diabetes), SIDD (Severe Insulin-deficient Diabetes), SIRD (Severe Insulin-resistant Diabetes), MARD (Mild Age-related Diabetes), MOD (Mild Obesity Diabetes)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Novel subgroups of adult-onset diabetes and their association with outcomes: a data-driven cluster analysis of six variables.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2018; 6: 361-369
- Novel subgroups of patients with adult-onset diabetes in Chinese and US populations.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2019; 7: 9-11
- Disease progression and treatment response in data-driven subgroups of type 2 diabetes compared with models based on simple clinical features: an analysis using clinical trial data.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2019; 7: 442-451
- Risk of diabetes-associated diseases in subgroups of patients with recent-onset diabetes: a 5-year follow-up study.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2019; 7: 684-694
- Novel subgroups of type 2 diabetes and their association with microvascular outcomes in an Asian Indian population: a data-driven cluster analysis: the INSPIRED study.BMJ Open Diabetes Res. Care. 2020; : 8
- Prescribing patterns and response to antihyperglycemic agents among novel clusters of Type 2 diabetes in Asian Indians.Diabetes Technol. Ther. 2022; 24: 190-200
- Factors associated with risk of diabetic complications in novel cluster-based diabetes subgroups: a Japanese retrospective cohort Study.J. Clin. Med. 2020; : 9
- Validation of distinct type 2 diabetes clusters and their association with diabetes complications in the DEVOTE, LEADER and SUSTAIN-6 cardiovascular outcomes trials.Diabetes Obes. Metab. 2020; 22: 1537-1547
- Assessing reproducibility and utility of clustering of patients with type 2 diabetes and established CV disease (SAVOR -TIMI 53 trial).PLoS One. 2021; 16e0259372
- Clinical characteristics and risk of diabetic complications in data-driven clusters among type 2 diabetes.Front. Endocrinol. 2021; 12617628
- Characterisation of type 2 diabetes subgroups and their association with ethnicity and clinical outcomes: a UK real-world data study using the East London Database.Br. J. Gen. Pract. 2022; https://doi.org/10.3399/bjgp.2021.0508
- Novel subgroups and chronic complications of diabetes in middle-aged and elderly Chinese:a prospective cohort study.Front. Endocrinol. 2021; 12802114
- Validation of the Swedish diabetes re-grouping scheme in adult-onset diabetes in China.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2020; : 105
- Replication and cross-validation of type 2 diabetes subtypes based on clinical variables: an IMI-RHAPSODY study.Diabetologia. 2021; 64: 1982-1989
- Comparison between data-driven clusters and models based on clinical features to predict outcomes in type 2 diabetes: nationwide observational study.Diabetologia. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1007/s00125-021-05485-5
- Application of new international classification of adult-onset diabetes in Chinese inpatients with diabetes mellitus.Diabetes Metab. Res. Rev. 2021; 37e3427
- Clinical characterization of data-driven diabetes subgroups in Mexicans using a reproducible machine learning approach.BMJ Open Diabetes Res. Care. 2020; : 8
- Identification of two novel subgroups in patients with diabetes mellitus and their association with clinical outcomes: a two-step cluster analysis.J. Diabetes Investig. 2021; 12: 1346-1358
- The identification of diabetes mellitus subtypes applying cluster analysis techniques: a systematic review.Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health. 2020; : 17
- Novel strategies for glycaemic control and preventing diabetic complications applying the clustering-based classification of adult-onset diabetes mellitus: a perspective.Diabetes Res. Clin. Pract. 2021; 180109067
- A novel diabetes typology: towards precision diabetology from pathogenesis to treatment.Diabetologia. 2022; https://doi.org/10.1007/s00125-021-05625-x
- Pathophysiology, phenotypes and management of type 2 diabetes mellitus in Indian and Chinese populations.Nat. Rev. Endocrinol. 2022; 18: 413-432
- Integrating polygenic risk scores in the prediction of type 2 diabetes risk and subtypes in British Pakistanis and Bangladeshis: a population-based cohort study.PLoS Med. 2022; 19e1003981
- Painting a new picture of personalised medicine for diabetes.Diabetologia. 2017; 60: 793-799