- •The progression rate to diabetes and regression to normoglycemia in prediabetic subjects was around 40%.
- •The modifiable predictors for regression to normoglycemia and progression to diabetes were roughly the same.
- •The impact of BMI on glycemic changes is going to fade out in the elderly prediabetic subjects.
Abbreviations:IFG (Impaired fasting glucose), iIFG (Isolated IFG), IGT (Impaired glucose tolerance), iIGT (Isolated IGT), ROC (Receiver operating characteristic), TLGS (Tehran Lipid and Glucose Study)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- IDF Diabetes Atlas: global estimates of diabetes prevalence for 2017 and projections for 2045.Diabetes Res. Clin. Pract. 2018; 138: 271-281https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2018.02.023
- Global and regional diabetes prevalence estimates for 2019 and projections for 2030 and 2045: results from the international diabetes federation diabetes atlas.Diabetes Res. Clin. Pract. 2019; 157107843https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2020.108072
- Prediabetes diagnosis and treatment in primary care.J. Am. Board Fam. Med. 2016; 29: 283-285https://doi.org/10.3122/jabfm.2016.02.150252
- Prediabetes diagnosis and treatment: a review.World J. Diabetes. 2015; 6: 296https://doi.org/10.4239/wjd.v6.i2.296
- Prediabetes: a high-risk state for diabetes development.Lancet. 2012; 379: 2279-2290https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(12)60283-9
- The long-term effect of lifestyle interventions to prevent diabetes in the China Da Qing Diabetes Prevention Study: a 20-year follow-up study.Lancet. 2008; 371: 1783-1789https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(08)60766-7
- Prevention of type 2 diabetes mellitus by changes in lifestyle among subjects with impaired glucose tolerance.N. Engl. J. Med. 2001; 344: 1343-1350https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM200105033441801
- Reduction in the incidence of type 2 diabetes with lifestyle intervention or metformin.N. Engl. J. Med. 2002; 346: 393-403https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa012512
- Efficacy and effectiveness of screen and treat policies in prevention of type 2 diabetes: systematic review and meta-analysis of screening tests and interventions.bmj. 2017; : 356https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6538
- Pathophysiology of pre-diabetes.Curr. Diabetes Rep. 2009; 9: 193-199https://doi.org/10.1007/s11892-009-0032-7
- Metabolic health in the Middle East and north Africa.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2019; 7: 866-879https://doi.org/10.1016/S2213-8587(19)30179-2
- Prevention of non-communicable disease in a population in nutrition transition: Tehran Lipid and Glucose Study phase II.Trials. 2009; 10: 1-15https://doi.org/10.1186/1745-6215-10-5
- Outcomes of a longitudinal population-based cohort study and pragmatic community trial: findings from 20 years of the Tehran Lipid and Glucose Study.Int. J. Endocrinol. Metab. 2018; 16https://doi.org/10.5812/ijem.84748
- A tutorial on variable selection for clinical prediction models: feature selection methods in data mining could improve the results.J. Clin. Epidemiol. 2016; 71: 76-85https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinepi.2015.10.002
- Package ‘mass’.Cran R. 2013; 538: 113-120
- mice: multivariate imputation by chained equations in R.J. Stat. Softw. 2011; 45: 1-67https://doi.org/10.18637/jss.v045.i03
- Determinants of change in glycemic status in individuals with pre-diabetes: results from a nationwide cohort study in Germany.J. Diabetes Res. 2018; : 2018https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/5703652
- regression from pre-diabetes to normal glucose levels is more frequent than progression towards diabetes: The CRONICAS Cohort Study.Diabetes Res. Clin. Pract. 2020; 163107829https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2019.107829
- Incident Type 2 diabetes and the effect of early regression to normoglycaemia in a population with impaired glucose regulation.Diabet. Med. 2017; 34: 396-404https://doi.org/10.1111/dme.13091
- Reversion from pre-diabetes to normoglycaemia and risk of cardiovascular disease and mortality: the Whitehall II cohort study.Diabetologia. 2019; 62: 1385-1390https://doi.org/10.1007/s00125-019-4895-0
- Epidemiology and determinants of non-diabetic hyperglycaemia and its conversion to type 2 diabetes mellitus, 2000–2015: cohort population study using UK electronic health records.BMJ Open. 2020; 10e040201https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2020-040201
- Lifestyle factors do not explain the difference on diabetes progression according to type of pre-diabetes: Results from a Spanish prospective cohort of prediabetic patients.Diabetes Res. Clin. Pract. 2019; 153: 66-75https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2019.05.033
- incidence of diabetes and pre-diabetes and predictors of progression among Asian Indians: 10-year follow-up of the Chennai Urban Rural Epidemiology Study (CURES).Diabetes care. 2015; 38: 1441-1448https://doi.org/10.2337/dc14-2814
- Clinical and metabolomic predictors of regression to normoglycemia in a population at intermediate cardiometabolic risk.Cardiovasc. Diabetol. 2021; 20: 1-11https://doi.org/10.1186/s12933-021-01246-1
- Incidence and predictors of dysglycemia and regression to normoglycemia in indian adolescents and young adults: 10-year follow-up of the ORANGE study.Diabetes Technol. Ther. 2020; 22: 875-882https://doi.org/10.1089/dia.2020.0109
- Men: good health and high mortality.Sex. Differ. Health Aging Aging Clin. Exp. Res. 2008; 20: 91-102https://doi.org/10.1007/bf03324754
- Nomogram predicting the risk of progression from prediabetes to diabetes after a 3-year follow-up in chinese adults.Diabetes, Metab. Syndr. Obes.: Targets Ther. 2021; 14: 2641https://doi.org/10.2147/DMSO.S307456
- Role of various indices derived from an oral glucose tolerance test in the prediction of conversion from pre-diabetes to type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Res. Clin. Pract. 2014; 106: 351-359https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2014.08.014
- Risk of progression to diabetes among older adults with pre-diabetes.JAMA Intern. Med. 2021; 181: 511-519https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2020.8774
- Natural history of pre-diabetes in older adults from a population‐based longitudinal study.J. Intern. Med. 2019; 286: 326-340https://doi.org/10.1111/joim.12920
- Effect of regression from pre-diabetes to normal glucose regulation on long-term reduction in diabetes risk: results from the diabetes prevention program outcomes study.Lancet. 2012; 379: 2243-2251