- •The estimated glucose disposal rate (eGDR) may quantify insulin resistance.
- •Insulin resistance is associated with an increased incidence of cardiovascular disease in type 1 diabetes.
- •The eGDR correlates with cardiovascular predictors; an additional target in preventing type 1 diabetes complications.
Background and aim
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Intensive glucose control versus conventional glucose control for type 1 diabetes mellitus.Cochrane Database Syst. Rev. 2014; https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD009122.pub2
- Temporal patterns in overweight and obesity in Type 1 diabetes.Diabet. Med. 2010; https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1464-5491.2010.02956.x
- Influence of intensive diabetes treatment on body weight and composition of adults with type 1 diabetes in the diabetes control and complications trial.Diabetes Care. 2001; https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.24.10.1711
- Iatrogenic hyperinsulinemia, not hyperglycemia, drives insulin resistance in type 1 diabetes as revealed by comparison with GCK-MODY (MODY2.Diabetes. 2019; https://doi.org/10.2337/db19-0324
- Insulin resistance, the metabolic syndrome, and complication risk in type 1 diabetes: “Double diabetes” in the diabetes control and complications trial.Diabetes Care. 2007; https://doi.org/10.2337/dc06-1982
- Insulin resistance-related factors, but not glycemia, predict coronary artery disease in type 1 diabetes: 10-year follow-up data from the Pittsburgh epidemiology of diabetes complications study.Diabetes Care. 2003; https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.26.5.1374
- Risk factors for progression to proliferative diabetic retinopathy in the EURODIAB Prospective Complications Study.Diabetologia. 2001; https://doi.org/10.1007/s001250100030
- Estimation of endogenous glucose production during hyperinsulinemic-euglycemic glucose clamps. Comparison of unlabeled and labeled exogenous glucose infusates.Diabetes. 1987; https://doi.org/10.2337/diab.36.8.914
- Can clinical factors estimate insulin resistance in type 1 diabetes.Diabetes. 2000; https://doi.org/10.2337/diabetes.49.4.626
- Glycemia (or, in women, estimated glucose disposal rate) predict lower extremity arterial disease events in type 1 diabetes.Metabolism. 2002; https://doi.org/10.1053/meta.2002.30021
- Vascular risk factors and diabetic neuropathy.N. Engl. J. Med. 2005; https://doi.org/10.1056/nejmoa032782
- Risk factor modeling for cardiovascular disease in type 1 diabetes in the pittsburgh epidemiology of diabetes complications (EDC) study: a comparison with the diabetes control and complications trial/epidemiology of diabetes interventions and complication.Diabetes. 2019; https://doi.org/10.2337/db18-0515
- Insulin resistance in adolescents with type 1 diabetes and its relationship to cardiovascular function.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2010; https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2009-1756
- Estimated glucose disposal rate in assessment of the metabolic syndrome and microvascular complications in patients with type 1 diabetes.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2009; https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2009-0960
- Pulse wave velocity in atherosclerosis.Front Cardiovasc Med. 2019; https://doi.org/10.3389/fcvm.2019.00041
- Prevalence and prognostic value of subclinical left ventricular systolic dysfunction by global longitudinal strain in a community-based cohort.Eur. J. Heart Fail. 2014; https://doi.org/10.1002/ejhf.154
- Impaired autonomic function is associated with increased mortality, especially in subjects with diabetes, hypertension, or a history of cardiovascular disease: the hoorn study.Diabetes Care. 2001; https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.24.10.1793
Chapter 1: Definition and classification of CKD Kidney Int Suppl. 2013.doi:10.1038/kisup.2012.64.
- Normal ranges of left ventricular strain: a meta-analysis.J. Am. Soc. Echocardiogr. 2013; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.echo.2012.10.008
- Recommendations for the evaluation of left ventricular diastolic function by echocardiography: an update from the American Society of Echocardiography and the European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging.J. Am. Soc. Echocardiogr. 2016; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.echo.2016.01.011
- The value of cardiovascular autonomic function tests: 10 years experience in diabetes.Diabetes Care. 1985; https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.8.5.491
- Optimal parameters of short-term heart rate spectrogram for routine evaluation of diabetic cardiovascular autonomic neuropathy.J. Auton. Nerv. Syst. 1998; https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-1838(98)00015-0
Kahn R. Proceedings of a consensus development conference on standardized measures in diabetic neuropathy. Diabetes Care (1992).
- Determinants of pulse wave velocity in healthy people and in the presence of cardiovascular risk factors: ‘establishing normal and reference values.Eur. Heart J. 2010; https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehq165
- Use of the estimated glucose disposal rate as a measure of insulin resistance in an urban multiethnic population with type 1 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2013; https://doi.org/10.2337/dc12-1693
- Estimated glucose disposal rate predicts mortality in adults with type 1 diabetes.Diabetes, Obes. Metab. 2018; https://doi.org/10.1111/dom.13110
- Cardiac autonomic neuropathy predicts cardiovascular morbidity and mortality in type 1 diabetic patients with diabetic nephropathy.Diabetes Care. 2006; https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.29.02.06.dc05-1242
- Global longitudinal strain by echocardiography predicts long-term risk of cardiovascular morbidity and mortality in a low-risk general population: the copenhagen city heart study.Circ. Cardiovasc Imaging. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCIMAGING.116.005521
- Relation of insulin resistance to longitudinal changes in left ventricular structure and function in a general population.J. Am. Heart Assoc. 2018; https://doi.org/10.1161/JAHA.117.008315
- Microalbuminuria in type 1 diabetes: Rates, risk factors and glycemic threshold.Kidney Int. 2001; https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1523-1755.2001.00789.x
- Body mass index, estimated glucose disposal rate and vascular complications in type 1 diabetes: Beyond glycated haemoglobin.Diabet. Med. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1111/dme.14529
- Impact of insulin resistance on subclinical left ventricular dysfunction in normal weight and overweight/obese japanese subjects in a general community.Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1186/s12933-020-01201-6
- Cardiovascular autonomic dysfunction is associated with central obesity in persons with impaired glucose tolerance.Diabet. Med. 2011; https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1464-5491.2011.03278.x
- Incremental prognostic value of global longitudinal strain in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2016; https://doi.org/10.1186/s12933-016-0333-5
- Arterial stiffness is highly correlated with the scores obtained from the steno type 1 risk engine in subjects with T1DM.PLoS One. 2019; https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0220206
- The association between cardiovascular autonomic neuropathy and mortality in individuals with diabetes a meta-analysis.Diabetes Care. 2003; https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.26.6.1895
- Exenatide treatment for 6 months improves insulin sensitivity in adults with type 1 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2014; https://doi.org/10.2337/dc13-1473
- Insulin sensitivity and arterial stiffness in youth with type 1 diabetes: the SEARCH CVD study.J. Diabetes Complicat. 2015; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdiacomp.2015.02.004
- Do European people with type 1 diabetes consume a high atherogenic diet? 7-year follow-up of the EURODIAB prospective complications study.Eur. J. Nutr. 2013; https://doi.org/10.1007/s00394-012-0473-7
- Arterial stiffness predicts mortality in individuals with type 1 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2020; https://doi.org/10.2337/dc20-0078
- Physical activity and diabetes complications in patients with type 1 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2008;
- Impairment of left and right ventricular longitudinal strain in asymptomatic children with type 1 diabetes.Indian Heart J. 2019; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ihj.2019.04.008
- Utility of estimated glucose disposal rate for predicting metabolic syndrome in children and adolescents with type-1 diabetes.J. Pedia Endocrinol. Metab. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1515/jpem-2020-0012
- Insulin therapy, hyperglycemia, and hypertension in type 1 diabetes mellitus.Arch. Intern Med. 2008; https://doi.org/10.1001/archinternmed.2008.2
- Diabetes and hypertension: a position statement by the American diabetes association.Diabetes Care. 2017; https://doi.org/10.2337/dci17-0026
- Cardiovascular autonomic neuropathy in diabetes: clinical impact, assessment, diagnosis, and management.Diabetes Metab. Res. Rev. 2011; https://doi.org/10.1002/dmrr.1239