- •The effectiveness of GLP-1RAs in real-world data is scarce.
- •There is a need for assessment of treatment cost-effectiveness with GLP-1RAs.
- •A high baseline HbA1c and previous non-insulin therapy were the main predictors of a greater response to GLP-1ARs.
- •Weight, age, and kidney function were also related to this response.
- •As expected, good adherence to GLP-1RAs treatment resulted in improved results.
Abbreviations:ADA (American Diabetes Association), BMI (body mass index), CI (confidence interval), CKD-EPI (Chronic Kidney Disease Epidemiology Collaboration), DPP4i (dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitors), EASD (European Association for the Study of Diabetes), eGFR (estimated glomerular filtration rate), FDA (Food and Drug Agency), GLP-1RAs (glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonists), HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin), ICS (Primary Health Care Centers of the Catalan Health Institute), ITT (intent-to-treat), MPR (Medication Possession Ratio), NIADs (non-insulin antidiabetic drugs), NICE (National Institute for Health and Care Excellence), OR (odds ratio), RCTs (randomized controlled trials), SIDIAP (System for the Development of Research in Primary Care), SGLT2i (sodium-glucose cotransporter-2 inhibitors), WHO (World Health Organization)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- GLP-1 analogs and DPP-4 inhibitors in type 2 diabetes therapy: review of head-to-head clinical trials.Front. Endocrinol. (Lausanne). 2020; 11: 1-13https://doi.org/10.3389/fendo.2020.00178
- Management of hyperglycaemia in type 2 diabetes: a patient-centered approach. Position statement of the american diabetes association (ADA) and the european association for the study of diabetes (EASD).Diabetologia. 2012; 55: 1577-1596https://doi.org/10.1007/s00125-012-2534-0
- Management of hyperglycemia in type 2 diabetes, 2015: a patient-centered approach: update to a position statement of the american diabetes association and the european association for the study of diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2015; 38: 140-149https://doi.org/10.2337/dc14-2441
- Pharmacologic approaches to glycemic treatment: standards of medical care in diabetes-2020.Diabetes Care. 2020; 43: S98-S110https://doi.org/10.2337/dc20-S009
- Improving care and promoting health in populations: standards of medical care in diabetes-2020.Diabetes Care. 2020; 43: S7-S13https://doi.org/10.2337/dc20-S001
- Initiating insulin in patients with type 2 diabetes.C. Can. Med. Assoc. J. 2012; 184: 767-776https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.110779/-/DC1.Table
- A clinical review of GLP-1 receptor agonists: Efficacy and safety in diabetes and beyond.Drugs Context. 2015; 4: 1-19https://doi.org/10.7573/dic.212283
- Effects of glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonists on weight loss: Systematic review and meta-analyses of randomised controlled trials.BMJ. 2012; 344: 1-11https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.d7771
- Weight loss variability with SGLT2 inhibitors and GLP-1 receptor agonists in type 2 diabetes mellitus and obesity: Mechanistic possibilities.Obes. Rev. 2019; 20: 816-828https://doi.org/10.1111/obr.12841
- Glucagon-like peptide 1 receptor agonists for the treatment of type 2 diabetes.Ugeskr. Laege. 2019; 181: 202-210
- The effect of glucagon-like peptide 1 receptor agonists on weight loss in type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and mixed treatment comparison meta-analysis.PLoS One. 2015; 10: 1-14https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0126769
- A network meta-analysis comparing exenatide once weekly with other GLP-1 receptor agonists for the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus.Diabetes Ther. 2016; 7: 27-43https://doi.org/10.1007/s13300-016-0155-1
- Efficacy and safety of glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonists in type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and mixed-treatment comparison analysis.Diabetes Obes. Metab. 2017; 19: 524-536https://doi.org/10.1111/dom.12849
- Once weekly exenatide compared with insulin glargine titrated to target in patients with type 2 diabetes (DURATION-3): an open-label randomised trial.Lancet. 2010; 375: 2234-2243https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(10)60406-0
- Efficacy and safety of once- weekly dulaglutide versus insulin glargine in patients with type 2 Diabetes on metformin and glimepiride (AWARD-2).Diabetes Care. 2015; 38: 2241-2249https://doi.org/10.2337/dc14-1625
- Beneficial effect of lixisenatide after 76 weeks of treatment in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: a meta-analysis from the GetGoal programme.Diabetes, Obes. Metab. 2017; 19: 248-256https://doi.org/10.1111/dom.12810
- NICE guideline. Type 2 diabetes in adults: management.Natl. Inst. Heal. Care Excell. 2015;
Departament de Salut Generalitat de Catalunya, Pautes per al tractament farmacològic de la diabetis mellitus tipus 2., Barcelona, 2013.
- Predictors of response to glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonists: a meta-analysis and systematic review of randomized controlled trials.Acta Diabetol. 2017; 54: 1101-1114https://doi.org/10.1007/s00592-017-1054-2
- Efficacy and adherence of glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonist treatment in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus in real-life settings.Diabetes Metab. 2019; 45: 528-535https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabet.2019.01.006
- Real-world evidence - What is it and what can it tell us?.N. Engl. J. Med. 2016; 375: 2293-2297https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMsb1609216
- Control of glycemia and cardiovascular risk factors in patients with type 2 diabetes in primary care in Catalonia (Spain).Diabetes Care. 2012; 35: 774-779https://doi.org/10.2337/dc11-1679
- SIDIAP database: electronic clinical records in primary care as a source of information for epidemiologic research.Med. Clin. (Barc. ). 2012; 138: 617-621https://doi.org/10.1016/j.medcli.2012.01.020
- Association between statin adherence and cholesterol level reduction from baseline in a veteran population.Pharmacotherapy. 2013; 33: 1044-1052https://doi.org/10.1002/phar.1305
- Good and poor adherence: optimal cut-point for adherence measures using administrative claims data.Curr. Med. Res. Opin. 2009; 25: 2303-2310https://doi.org/10.1185/03007990903126833
- R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing.R Found. Stat. Comput., Vienna, Austria2018accessed June 20, 2018)
- Dosing Rationale for Liraglutide in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: A Pharmacometric Assessment.J. Clin. Pharmacol. 2012; 52: 1815-1823https://doi.org/10.1177/0091270011430504
- Glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonists in patients with type 2 diabetes: prescription according to reimbursement constraints and guideline recommendations in catalonia.J. Clin. Med. 2019; 8: 1389https://doi.org/10.3390/jcm8091389
- Using exenatide twice daily or insulin in clinical practice: results from choice.Diabetes Ther. 2013; 4: 285-308https://doi.org/10.1007/s13300-013-0037-8
A. Loughlin, Q. Qiao, … K.J.-, undefined 2016, Real-World Clinical Outcomes among Exenatide Once-Weekly Initiators Compared with Matched Initiators of Basal Insulin, AMER DIABETES ASSOC 1701 N …. (n.d.).
- One-year metabolic outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes treated with exenatide in routine practice.Diabetes Metab. 2010; 36: 381-388https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabet.2010.03.009
- ROOTS: A multicenter study in Belgium to evaluate the effectiveness and safety of liraglutide (Victoza®) in type 2 diabetic patients.Diabetes Metab. Syndr. Clin. Res. Rev. 2015; 9: 139-142https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dsx.2015.05.001
- Effectiveness and persistence with liraglutide among patients with type 2 diabetes in routine clinical practice—EVIDENCE: a prospective, 2-year follow-up, observational, post-marketing study.Adv. Ther. 2015; 32: 838-853https://doi.org/10.1007/s12325-015-0245-x
- Efficacy and safety of liraglutide therapy in 195 Indian patients with type 2 diabetes in real world setting.Diabetes Metab. Syndr. Clin. Res. Rev. 2015; 9: 30-33https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dsx.2014.04.034
- Real-world weight change among patients treated with glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonist, dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitor and sulfonylureas for type 2 diabetes and the influence of medication adherence.Obes. Sci. Pract. 2017; 3: 342-351https://doi.org/10.1002/osp4.116
- Treatment outcomes and tolerability following initiation of GLP-1 receptor agonists among type 2 diabetes patients in primary care practices in Germany.J. Diabetes Sci. Technol. 2017; 11: 272-277https://doi.org/10.1177/1932296816661349
- Glycemic control and weight outcomes for exenatide once weekly versus liraglutide in patients with type 2 diabetes: a 1-year retrospective cohort analysis.Clin. Ther. 2016; 38: 2642-2651https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinthera.2016.11.003
- Effectiveness of liraglutide and lixisenatide in the treatment of type 2 diabetes: real-world evidence from the health improvement network (THIN) database in the United Kingdom.Diabetes Ther. 2017; 8: 417-431https://doi.org/10.1007/s13300-017-0241-z
- Quality goal attainment and maintenance in patients with type II diabetes mellitus initiated on canagliflozin or a glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonist in an actual practice setting.Curr. Med. Res. Opin. 2018; 34: 1125-1133https://doi.org/10.1080/03007995.2018.1454417
- Real-world glycemic control from GLP-1RA therapy with and without concurrent insulin in patients with type 2 diabetes.J. Manag. Care Spec. Pharm. 2017; 23: 267-275https://doi.org/10.18553/jmcp.2017.16334
- A Randomized, Controlled Trial of 3.0 mg of Liraglutide in Weight Management.N. Engl. J. Med. 2015; 373: 11-22https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1411892
- What have we learnt from “real world” data, observational studies and meta-analyses.Diabetes Obes. Metab. 2018; 20: 47-58https://doi.org/10.1111/dom.13178
- Understanding the gap between efficacy in randomized controlled trials and effectiveness in real-world use of GLP-1 RA and DPP-4 therapies in patients with type 2 diabetes.in: Diabetes Care. American Diabetes Association Inc., 2017: 1469-1478https://doi.org/10.2337/dc16-2725
- Type 2 diabetes in the real world: The elusive nature of glycemic control.Diabetes Care. 2017; 40: 1425-1432https://doi.org/10.2337/dc16-1974