- •Community-level food insecurity increased the risk of not achieving glycemic control in early pregnancy.
- •Food insecurity impacts glycemic control among pregnant individuals with diabetes.
- •Interventions targeting food insecurity to improve glycemic control and perinatal outcomes are needed.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Primary Care Diabetes
- Community food security: background and future directions.J. Nutr. Educ. Behav. 2003; 35: 37-43
A. Coleman-Jensen, M.P. Rabbitt C.A. Gregory, A. Singh, Household food security in the United States in 2019, Economic Research Service, US Department of Agriculture. Accessed 8 June 2022, 〈https://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/pub-details/?pubid=99281〉.
- Food insecurity, gestational weight gain and gestational diabetes in the National Children's Study, 2009–2014.J. Public Health. 2021; 43: 558-566
- Pregnant and hungry: addressing food insecurity in pregnant women during the COVID-19 pandemic in the United States.Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. MFM. 2021; 3100378
- The motherhood wage penalty: a meta-analysis.Soc. Sci. Res. 2020; 88–89102416
- Association of living in a food desert with pregnancy morbidity.Obstet. Gynecol. 2020; 136: 140-145
- Association between food deserts and gestational diabetes mellitus in a large metropolitan area.Am. J. Perinatol. 2021; 38: e39-e45
- Examining the relationship between food environment and gestational diabetes.Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. MFM. 2020; 2100204
- Food insecurity during pregnancy and gestational weight gain.Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. Matern. Fetal Med. 2020; 2100068
- Household food insecurity is associated with self-reported pregravid weight status, gestational weight gain, and pregnancy complications.J. Am. Diet. Assoc. 2010; 110: 692-701
- Iron deficiency is associated with food insecurity in pregnant females in the United States: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 1999–2010.J. Acad. Nutr. Diet. 2014; 114: 1967-1973
- Maternal food insecurity is positively associated with postpartum mental disorders in Ontario, Canada.J. Nutr. 2020; 150: 3033-3040
- Household food insecurity is associated with depressive symptoms among low-income pregnant Latinas.Matern. Child Nutr. 2011; 7: 421-430
- Food insecurity and metabolic control among U.S. adults with diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2013; 36: 3093-3099
- Trends in gestational diabetes at first live birth by race and ethnicity in the US, 2011–2019.J. Am. Med. Assoc. 2021; 326: 660-669
- Trends in incidence of diabetes in pregnancy and serious perinatal outcomes: a large, population-based study in Ontario, Canada, 1996–2010.Diabetes Care. 2014; 37: 1590-1596
- The next generation of diabetes translation: a path to health equity.Annu. Rev. Public Health. 2019; 40: 391-410
- Associations between unstable housing, obstetric outcomes, and perinatal health care utilization.Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. MFM. 2019; 1100053
- Social determinants of health and adverse maternal and birth outcomes in adolescent pregnancies: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Pediatr. Perinat. Epidemiol. 2019; 33: 8-99
- Social determinants of health equity.Am. J. Public Health. 2014; 104: S517-S519
- Food insecurity and glycemic control in individuals with diagnosed and undiagnosed diabetes in the United States.Prim. Care Diabetes. 2021; 15: 813-818
- Food insecurity in relation to changes in hemoglobin A1c, self-efficacy, and fruit/vegetable intake during a diabetes educational intervention.Diabetes Care. 2013; 36: 1448-1453
- Food insecurity, food "deserts," and glycemic control in patients with diabetes: a longitudinal analysis.Diabetes Care. 2018; 41: 1188-1195
- Risk of severe maternal morbidity or death in relation to elevated hemoglobin A1c preconception, and in early pregnancy: a population-based cohort study.PLoS Med. 2020; 17e1003104
- The use of longitudinal hemoglobin A1c values to predict adverse obstetric and neonatal outcomes in pregnancies complicated by pregestational diabetes.Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. MFM. 2020; 2100069
- Association of change in haemoglobin A1c with adverse perinatal outcomes in women with pregestational diabetes.Diabetes Med. 2022; 39e14822
- 14. Management of diabetes in pregnancy: standards of medical care in diabetes—2020.Diabetes Care. 2020; 43: S183-S192
- ACOG practice bulletin no. 201: pregestational diabetes mellitus.Obstet. Gynecol. 2018; 132: e228-e248
- Understanding food security as a social determinant of diabetes-related health during pregnancy.Am. J. Perinatol. 2021; 10: 1055
- Social and environmental barriers to nutrition therapy for diabetes management among underserved pregnant women: a qualitative analysis.J. Nutr. Educ. Behav. 2016; 48: 170-180
- Association between social vulnerability and achieving glycemic control among pregnant individuals with pregestational diabetes.Obstet. Gynecol. 2022; 139: 1051-1060
- Differences in hemoglobin A1c during pregnancy between non-hispanic black versus white women with prepregnancy diabetes.Am. J. Perinatol. 2022;
- Low-income and low-supermarket-access Census tracts, 2010–2015.Econ. Inf. Bull. 2015; 165: 1-15
USDA, Introduction to the Food Research Atlas. Accessed 8 June 2022, 〈https://gisportal.ers.usda.gov/portal/apps/experiencebuilder/experience/?id=a53ebd7396cd4ac3a3ed09137676fd40&page=page_0〉.
Economic Research Service (ERS), U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), Food Access Research Atlas. Accessed 8 June 2022, 〈https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/food-access-research-atlas/〉.
- Risk of macrosomia remains glucose-dependent in a cohort of women with pregestational type 1 diabetes and good glycemic control.Endocrine. 2017; 55: 447-455
- HbA1c levels are significantly lower in early and late pregnancy.Diabetes Care. 2004; 27: 1200-1201
- Hyperglycemia and adverse pregnancy outcomes.N. Engl. J. Med. 2008; 358: 1991-2002
- Identifying mobile health technology experiences and preferences of low-income pregnant women with diabetes.J. Diabetes Sci. Technol. 2021; 15: 1018-1026
Bio-Rad laboratories I, Variant II Turbo HbA1c Kit – 2.0. U. S. Accessed 11 November 2021, 〈https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cdrh_docs/reviews/K090699.pdf〉.
- Assessing White's classification of pregestational diabetes in a contemporary diabetic population.Obstet. Gynecol. 2015; 125: 1217-1223
- HbA1c and iron deficiency: a review.Diabetes Metab. Syndr. 2013; 7: 118-122
- Gestational diabetes, subsequent type 2 diabetes, and food security status: national health and nutrition examination survey, 2007–2018.Prev. Chronic Dis. 2022; 19E42
FAO I, UNICEF, WFP, WHO, The State of Food Security and Nutrition in the World 2021. Transforming food systems for food security, improved nutrition and affordable healthy diets for all. Accessed 6 June 2022, 〈https://doi.org/10.4060/cb4474en〉.
- Association of special supplemental nutrition program for women, infants, and children with preterm birth and infant mortality.JAMA Netw. Open. 2019; 2e1916722
- Fruit and vegetable vouchers in pregnancy: preliminary impact on diet & food security.J. Hunger Environ. Nutr. 2021; 16: 149-163