- •The prevalence of neuropathic pain was approximately four times higher in patients with prediabetes than in controls.
- •Neuropathic pain rate was found to be 13.4% and 7% by using DN4 and LANSS questionnaires.
- •Higher HbA1c levels were associated with higher pain intensity scores.
- •The female gender was more associated with higher pain scores than the males.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Risk of cardiovascular disease and death in individuals with prediabetes defined by different criteria: the Whitehall II study.Diabetes Care. 2018; 41: 899-906https://doi.org/10.2337/dc17-2530
- Microvascular complications of impaired glucose tolerance.Diabetes. 2003; 52: 2867-2873https://doi.org/10.2337/diabetes.52.12.2867
- Prevalence and risk factors of diabetic peripheral neuropathy in a diabetics cohort: register initiative “diabetes and nerves”.Endocr. Metab. Sci. 2020; 1100053https://doi.org/10.1016/j.endmts.2020.100053
- Diagnosis and assessment of neuropathic pain through questionnaires.Lancet Neurol. 2018; 17: 456-466https://doi.org/10.1016/S1474-4422(18)30071-1
- Neuropathic pain.Nat. Rev. Dis. Prim. 2017; 3: 17002https://doi.org/10.1038/nrdp.2017.2
- Neuropathic pain: definition, assessment and epidemiology.Rev. Neurol. 2019; 175: 16-25https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neurol.2018.09.016
- Neuropathic pain in diabetes, prediabetes and normal glucose tolerance: the MONICA/KORA Augsburg surveys S2 and S3.Pain Med. 2009; 10: 393-400https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1526-4637.2008.00555.x
2. Classification and diagnosis of diabetes: standards of medical care in diabetes—2022, Diabetes Care, 45 (Suppl. 1), 2022, pp. S17–S38. 〈DOI: 10.2337/dc22-S002〉.
- The LANSS pain scale: the leeds assessment of neuropathic symptoms and signs.Pain. 2001; 92: 147-157https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3959(00)00482-6
- Results of the leeds assessment of neuropathic symptoms and signs pain scale in Turkey: a validation study.J. Pain. 2004; 5: 427-432https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpain.2004.07.001
- Validation of DN4 as a screening tool for neuropathic pain in painful diabetic polyneuropathy.Diabet. Med. 2012; 29: 578-585https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1464-5491.2011.03500.x
- A comparison of the DN4 and LANSS questionnaires in the assessment of neuropathic pain: validity and reliability of the Turkish version of DN4.J. Pain. 2010; 11: 1129-1135https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpain.2010.02.003
- Type 2 diabetes can be prevented with early pharmacological intervention.Diabetes Care. 2011; 34: S202-S209https://doi.org/10.2337/dc11-s221
- The prevalence by staged severity of various types of diabetic neuropathy, retinopathy, and nephropathy in a population-based cohort: the Rochester Diabetic Neuropathy Study.Neurology. 1993; 43 (817-817)https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.43.4.817
- Risks for sensorimotor peripheral neuropathy and autonomic neuropathy in non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM).Muscle Nerve. 1998; 21: 72-80https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-4598(199801)21:1<72::AID-MUS10>3.0.CO;2-2
- Prediabetic neuropathy: does it exist?.Curr. Diabetes Rep. 2012; 12: 376-383https://doi.org/10.1007/s11892-012-0278-3
- Peripheral neuropathy and nerve dysfunction in individuals at high risk for type 2 diabetes: the PROMISE cohort.Diabetes Care. 2015; 38: 793-800https://doi.org/10.2337/dc14-2585
- Diabetes mellitus but not impaired glucose tolerance is associated with dysfunction in peripheral nerves.Diabet. Med. 1994; 11: 279-285https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1464-5491.1994.tb00272.x
- Diagnosis and treatment of pain in small-fiber neuropathy.Curr. Pain Headache Rep. 2011; 15: 193-200https://doi.org/10.1007/s11916-011-0181-7
- The spectrum of neuropathy in diabetes and impaired glucose tolerance.Neurology. 2003; 60: 108-111https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.60.1.108
- Exploration of small fibers for testing diabetic neuropathies.Jt. Bone Spine. 2005; 72: 412-415https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbspin.2004.10.003
- The specific disease burden of neuropathic pain: Results of a French nationwide survey.Pain. 2011; 152: 2836-2843https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2011.09.014
- Localised neuropathic pain in the primary care setting: a cross-sectional study of prevalence, clinical characteristics, treatment patterns, quality of life and sleep performance.Curr. Med. Res. Opin. 2021; 37: 293-302https://doi.org/10.1080/03007995.2020.1846174
- Depression prevalence in neuropathic pain and its impact on the quality of life.Pain. Res. Manag. 2020; 2020: 1-8https://doi.org/10.1155/2020/7408508
D. Bouhassira, M. Letanoux, A. Hartemann, Chronic pain with neuropathic characteristics in diabetic patients: a French cross-sectional study, in: C. Sommer (Ed.), PLoS ONE, 8(9), 2013, e74195. 〈DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0074195〉.
- Prevalence and impact on quality of life of peripheral neuropathy with or without neuropathic pain in type 1 and type 2 diabetic patients attending hospital outpatients clinics.Diabetes Metab. 2009; 35: 206-213https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabet.2008.11.004
- Prevalence of painful diabetic peripheral neuropathy among patients with diabetes mellitus in the Middle East Region.J. Int. Med. Res. 2011; 39: 366-377https://doi.org/10.1177/147323001103900204
- Utility of DN4 questionnaire in assessment of neuropathic pain and its clinical correlations in Turkish patients with diabetes mellitus.Prim. Care Diabetes. 2016; 10: 259-264https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pcd.2015.11.005
- A cross-sectional study to estimate the point prevalence of painful diabetic neuropathy in Eastern Libya.BMC Public Health. 2019; 19: 78https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-018-6374-9
- Which scale is more useful to detect diabetic neuropathic pain?: A cross-sectional study.BMC Endocr. Disord. 2022; 22: 56https://doi.org/10.1186/s12902-022-00970-3
- Corneal confocal microscopy detects neuropathy in subjects with impaired glucose tolerance.Diabetes Care. 2014; 37: 2643-2646https://doi.org/10.2337/dc14-0279
- Prevalence of peripheral neuropathy in pre-diabetes: a systematic review.BMJ Open Diabetes Res. Care. 2021; 9e002040https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjdrc-2020-002040
- Epidermal nerve innervation in impaired glucose tolerance and diabetes-associated neuropathy.Neurology. 2001; 57: 1701-1704https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.57.9.1701
- Prevalence and risk factors of neuropathic pain in survivors of myocardial infarction with pre-diabetes and diabetes. The KORA Myocardial Infarction Registry.Eur. J. Pain. 2009; 13: 582-587https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejpain.2008.07.007
- Validation of Michigan neuropathy screening instrument for diabetic peripheral neuropathy.Clin. Neurol. Neurosurg. 2006; 108: 477-481https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clineuro.2005.08.003
- Painful sensory polyneuropathy associated with impaired glucose tolerance.Muscle Nerve. 2001; 24: 1225-1228https://doi.org/10.1002/mus.1136
- The frequency of undiagnosed diabetes and impaired glucose tolerance in patients with idiopathic sensory neuropathy.Muscle Nerve. 2001; 24: 1229-1231https://doi.org/10.1002/mus.1137