Substance use disorder patterns were identified in patients with type 2 diabetes and hypertension.
Tobacco use disorder (TUD) was associated with adverse diabetes outcomes and death.
Alcohol use disorder with TUD vs. TUD was associated with a higher risk of death.
Polysubstance use disorder vs. TUD associated with CVA, diabetic neuropathy, MI, and death.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Using electronic health record data for substance use screening, brief intervention, and referral to treatment among adults with type 2 diabetes: design of a national drug abuse treatment clinical trials network study.Conte Clin. Trials. 2016; 46: 30-38https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cct.2015.11.009
- Medical complications associated with substance use disorders in patients with type 2 diabetes and hypertension: electronic health record findings.Addiction. 2019; 114: 1462-1470https://doi.org/10.1111/add.14607
- One is not enough: understanding and modeling polysubstance use.Front Neurosci. 2020; 14: 569https://doi.org/10.3389/fnins.2020.00569
- Polysubstance use: diagnostic challenges, patterns of use and health.Curr. Opin. Psychiatry. 2014; 27: 269-275https://doi.org/10.1097/YCO.0000000000000069
- Patterns of substance use among adolescents: a systematic review.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2020; 108222https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2020.108222
- Patient characteristics associated with venous thromboembolic events: a cohort study using pooled electronic health record data.J. Am. Med Inf. Assoc. 2012; 19: 965-972https://doi.org/10.1136/amiajnl-2011-000782
- Validation study of a pooled electronic healthcare database: the effect of obesity on the revision rate of total knee arthroplasty.Eur. J. Orthop. Surg. Trauma. 2014; 24: 1625-1628https://doi.org/10.1007/s00590-014-1423-2
- Latent Class and Latent Transition Analysis: with Applications in the Social, Behavioral, and Health Sciences. Vol. 718. John Wiley & Sons, 2009
- Applied Latent Class Analysis.Cambridge University Press, Cambridge; New York2002: 454 (xxii)
- Deciding on the number of classes in latent class analysis and growth mixture modeling: a Monte Carlo simulation study.Struct. Equ. Model.: A Multidiscip. J. 2007; 14: 535-569https://doi.org/10.1080/10705510701575396
R Core Team, R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. 2020, R Foundation for Statistical Computing: Vienna, Austria.
- Matching methods for causal inference: a review and a look forward.Stat. Sci. 2010; 25: 1-21https://doi.org/10.1214/09-STS313
- Diabetes-related microvascular and macrovascular diseases in the physical therapy setting.Phys. Ther. 2008; 88: 1322-1335https://doi.org/10.2522/ptj.20080008
- Substance use patterns among adolescents: a latent class analysis.J. Am. Psychiatr. Nurses Assoc. 2020; 26: 586-594https://doi.org/10.1177/1078390319858658
- A latent class analysis of changes in adolescent substance use between 1988 and 2011 in Sweden: associations with sex and psychosomatic problems.Addiction. 2020; 115: 1932-1941https://doi.org/10.1111/add.15040
- Polydrug use patterns, risk behavior and unmet healthcare need in a community-based sample of women who use cocaine, heroin or methamphetamine.Addict. Behav. 2018; 85: 94-99https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addbeh.2018.05.013
- Latent class analysis: an alternative perspective on subgroup analysis in prevention and treatment.Prev. Sci. 2013; 14: 157-168https://doi.org/10.1007/s11121-011-0201-1
- Chronic tobacco smoking and neuropsychological impairments: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Neurosci. Biobehav Rev. 2019; 96: 143-154https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neubiorev.2018.11.017
- History of tobacco and health.Respirology. 2003; 8: 286-290https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1440-1843.2003.00483.x
- Cigarette smoke and adverse health effects: an overview of research trends and future needs.Int. J. Angiol. 2007; 16: 77-83https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0031-1278254
- HHS, in The Health Consequences of Smoking-50 Years of Progress: A Report of the Surgeon General. 2014: Atlanta (GA).
- Behavioral disorders and diabetes-related outcomes among Massachusetts medicare and Medicaid beneficiaries.Psychiatr. Serv. 2011; 62: 659-665https://doi.org/10.1176/ps.62.6.pss6206_0659
- Joint effect of alcohol drinking and tobacco smoking on all-cause mortality and premature death in China: a cohort study.PLoS One. 2021; 16e0245670https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0245670
- Substance use and mental diagnoses among adults with and without type 2 diabetes: results from electronic health records data.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2015; 156: 162-169https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2015.09.003