- •Retrospective cohort study of diabetes patients who underwent cataract surgery.
- •Probed association of glycemic control and pseudophakic cystoid macular edema-CME.
- •Main variables influencing risk for CME were diabetic retinopathy and HbA1c level.
- •High glycated hemoglobin level was independent risk factor for developing CME.
- •CME patients likelier younger, longer diabetes, type 1 diabetes, and retinopathic.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Global estimates of visual impairment: 2010.Br. J. Ophthalmol. 2012; 96: 614-618https://doi.org/10.1136/bjophthalmol-2011-300539
- Complications of cataract surgery.Clin. Exp. Optom. 2010; 93: 379-389https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1444-0938.2010.00516.x
- Heads-up cataract surgery: complication rates, surgical duration, and comparison with traditional microscopes.J. Refract Surg. 2019; 35: 318-322https://doi.org/10.3928/1081597X-20190410-02
- Cataracts.Lancet. 2017; 390: 600-612https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(17)30544-5
- Topical nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and cataract surgery: a report by the american academy of ophthalmology.Ophthalmology. 2015; 122: 2159-2168https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ophtha.2015.05.014
- Post-cataract prevention of inflammation and macular edema by steroid and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory eye drops: a systematic review.Ophthalmology. 2014; 121: 1915-1924https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ophtha.2014.04.035
- The incidence, pathogenesis and treatment of cystoid macular edema following cataract surgery.Trans. Am. Opthalmol Soc. 1998; 96: 557
World Health Organization, Diabetes Fact Sheet. November 10, 2020. 〈https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/diabetes〉 [Accessed 16 May 2022.].
- Meta-analysis of the risk of cataract in type 2 diabetes.BMC Ophthalmol. 2014; 14https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2415-14-94
- Cataract surgery in diabetes mellitus: a systematic review.Indian J. Ophthalmol. 2018; 66: 1401https://doi.org/10.4103/ijo.IJO_1158_17
- Postoperative adverse events in patients with diabetes undergoing orthopedic and general surgery.Med. (Baltim. ). 2019; 98e15089https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000015089
- Perioperative glycemic control in diabetic patients undergoing coronary artery bypass graft surgery.J. Egypt Soc. Cardio-Thorac. Surg. 2016; 24: 143-149https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jescts.2016.05.007
- Risk factors and incidence of macular edema after cataract surgery a database study of 81984 eyes.Ophthalmol. 2016; 123: 316-323https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ophtha.2015.10.001
- A prospective, case controlled study of the natural history of diabetic retinopathy and maculopathy after uncomplicated phacoemulsification cataract surgery in patients with type 2 diabetes.Br. J. Ophthalmol. 2002; 86: 565-571https://doi.org/10.1136/BJO.86.5.565
- Risk factors for and diagnosis of pseudophakic cystoid macular edema after cataract surgery in diabetic patients.J. Cataract Refract Surg. 2017; 43: 207-214https://doi.org/10.1016/J.JCRS.2016.11.047
- Type 2 diabetes and HbA1c predict all-cause post-metabolic and bariatric surgery hospital readmission.Obesity. 2021; 29https://doi.org/10.1002/oby.23044
- Severity of preoperative HbA1c and predicting postoperative complications in spine surgery.World Neurosurg. 2021; 155e770https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wneu.2021.08.133
- Association of elevated pre-operative HbA1c and post-operative complications in patients undergoing gynaecological oncology surgery.J. Obstet. Gynaecol. (Lahore). 2020; 40: 994-999https://doi.org/10.1080/01443615.2019.1678577
- Importance of perioperative glycemic control in general surgery: A report from the surgical care and outcomes assessment program.Ann. Surg. 2013; 257: 8-14https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0b013e31827b6bbc
- Clinical practice recommendations.Diabetes Care. 2010; 33https://doi.org/10.2337/dc10-S001
- Perioperative management of hyperglycemia and diabetes in cardiac surgery patients.Endocrinol. Metab. Clin. 2018; 47: 203https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecl.2017.10.005
- Risk factors for microvascular complications of diabetes in a high-risk middle east population.J. Diabetes Res. 2018; 8964027https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/8964027
- Diabetic retinopathy.Nat. Rev. Dis. Prim. 2016; 2: 1https://doi.org/10.1038/NRDP.2016.12
- Microvascular complications of type 2 Diabetes mellitus.Curr. Vasc. Pharm. 2019; 18: 117-124https://doi.org/10.2174/1570161117666190502103733
- The diabetes control and complications trial/epidemiology of diabetes interventions and complications study at 30 years: overview.Diabetes Care. 2014; 37: 9-16https://doi.org/10.2337/dc13-2112