- •Among Chinese women with gestational diabetes mellitus, we found:
- •Maternal prepregnancy obesity predicted offspring overweight before 2 years of age.
- •Paternal prepregnancy obesity predicted offspring overweight before 2 years of age.
- •Maternal and paternal obesity had an additive effect on the offspring overweight.
- •Risk of overweight increased with age in the offspring of parents with obesity.
Abbreviations:GDM (Gestational diabetes mellitus), RCT (Randomized controlled trial), GCT (Glucose challenge test), OGTT (Oral glucose tolerance test), PG (Plasma glucose), IC (Intensive care), UC (Usual care), SMBG (Self-monitoring of blood glucose), SBP (Systolic blood pressure), DBP (Diastolic blood pressure), BMI (Body mass index), WHO (World Health Organization), SD (Standard deviation), IQR (Interquartile range), OR (Odds ratio), CI (Confidence interval)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Global, regional, and national prevalence of overweight and obesity in children and adults during 1980–2013: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013.Lancet. 2014; 384: 766-781
- Epidemiology and determinants of obesity in China.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2021; 9: 373-392
- Childhood overweight and obesity and the risk of depression across the lifespan.BMC Pedia. 2020; 20: 25
- Tracking of childhood overweight into adulthood: a systematic review of the literature.Obes. Rev. 2008; 9: 474-488
- Social marginalization of overweight children.Arch. Pedia Adolesc. Med. 2003; 157: 746-752
- Metabolic complications of childhood obesity: identifying and mitigating the risk.Diabetes Care. 2008; 31: S310-S316
- Identifying the "tipping point" age for overweight pediatric patients.Clin. Pedia (Philos. ). 2010; 49: 638-643
- Energy intake/physical activity interactions in the homeostasis of body weight regulation.Nutr. Rev. 2004; 62: S98-S104
- Short sleep duration as a risk factor for childhood overweight/obesity: a large multicentric epidemiologic study in China.Sleep. Health. 2015; 1: 184-190
- Risks of overweight in the offspring of women with gestational diabetes at different developmental stages: a meta-analysis with more than half a million offspring.Obes. Rev. 2022; 23e13395
- IDF diabetes atlas: estimation of global and regional gestational diabetes mellitus prevalence for 2021 by international association of diabetes in pregnancy study group's criteria.Diabetes Res Clin. Pr. 2022; 183109050
- Effects of paternal obesity on fetal development and pregnancy complications: a prospective clinical cohort study.Front Endocrinol. (Lausanne). 2022; 13826665
- Do gestational obesity and gestational diabetes have an independent effect on neonatal adiposity? Results of mediation analysis from a cohort study in South India.Clin. Epidemiol. 2019; 11: 1067-1080
- The hyperglycemia and adverse pregnancy outcome study: associations of GDM and obesity with pregnancy outcomes.Diabetes Care. 2012; 35: 780-786
- Gestational diabetes mellitus in women of single gravidity in Tianjin City, China.Diabetes Care. 2002; 25: 847-851
- Prevalence of gestational diabetes mellitus and its risk factors in Chinese pregnant women: a prospective population-based study in Tianjin, China.PLoS One. 2015; 10e0121029
- International association of diabetes and pregnancy study groups recommendations on the diagnosis and classification of hyperglycemia in pregnancy.Diabetes Care. 2010; 33: 676-682
- A randomised translational trial of lifestyle intervention using a 3-tier shared care approach on pregnancy outcomes in Chinese women with gestational diabetes mellitus but without diabetes.J. Transl. Med. 2014; 12: 290
- Maternal weight and body composition in the first trimester of pregnancy.Acta Obstet. Gynecol. Scand. 2010; 89: 952-955
- WS/T 428-2013 Criteria of weight for adults.Chinese Standards Press, Beijing2013
- World Health Organization, Geneva2006
- Risks of overweight and abdominal obesity at age 16 years associated with prenatal exposures to maternal prepregnancy overweight and gestational diabetes mellitus.Diabetes Care. 2010; 33: 1115-1121
- Prevalence and predictors of overweight and insulin resistance in offspring of mothers with gestational diabetes mellitus.Diabetes Care. 2010; 33: 1845-1849
- Socio-demographic and behavioral risk factors associated with the high prevalence of overweight and obesity in Portuguese children.Am. J. Hum. Biol. 2013; 25: 733-742
- Factors associated with overweight in preschool-age children in southwestern France.Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 2007; 85: 1643-1649
- Aberrant DNA methylation mediates the transgenerational risk of metabolic and chronic disease due to maternal obesity and overnutrition.Genes (Basel). 2021; 12
- Effects of obesity and diabetes on the epigenetic modification of mammalian gametes.J. Cell Physiol. 2019; 234: 7847-7855
- Maternal gestational diabetes and childhood obesity at age 9-11: results of a multinational study.Diabetologia. 2016; 59: 2339-2348
- Birth weight and carotid artery intima-media thickness.J. Pedia. 2013; 162 (e1-2): 906-911
- The human breast milk metabolome in overweight and obese mothers.Front Immunol. 2020; 11: 1533
Noncommunicable diseases. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2018. https://www.who.int/health-topics/noncommunicable-diseases#tab=tab_1.
Obesity and Overweight. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2021. http://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/obesity-and-overweight.
- Gestational diabetes and offspring's growth from birth to 6 years old.Int J. Obes. (Lond. ). 2019; 43: 663-672
- Effects of lifestyle intervention of maternal gestational diabetes mellitus on offspring growth pattern before two years of age.Diabetes Care. 2021; 44: e42-e44