- •Depression and anxiety are common among Egyptian patients with type 1 diabetes.
- •Female sex is related to depression but not to anxiety.
- •HbA1c and HFS-II are independently correlated with both anxiety and depression.
- •Anxiety and depression are correlated with HFS-B, HFS-W and HFS-II total score.
Background and aims
Abbreviations:ABI (Ankle brachial index), FOH (fear of hypoglycemia), HADS (Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale), HFS-II (Hypoglycemia Fear Survey II), T1DM (type 1 diabetes mellitus), UACR (urinary albumin to creatinine ratio), VPT (vibration perception threshold)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Primary Care Diabetes
- Prevention of type 1 diabetes.Br. Med Bull. 2011; 99: 73-88
American Diabetes Association. 2. Classification and diagnosis of diabetes: standards of medical care in diabetes—2019. Diabetes care. 2019 Jan 1;42(Supplement_1):S13–28.
J.1 Aalders E.1 Hartman Nefs G1,2,3, Nieuwesteeg A1,4, Hendrieckx C5,6, Aanstoot HJ, et al. Mindfulness and fear of hypoglycaemia in parents of children with Type 1 diabetes: results from Diabetes MILES Youth - The Netherlands Diabet. Med 35 5 2018 May 650 657.
- Psychological conditions in adults with diabetes.Am. Psychol. 2016; 71: 552-562
- Hypoglycemia in type 1 diabetes: a still unresolved problem in the era of insulin analogs and pump therapy.Diabetes Care. 2008; 31: S121-S124
- The barrier of hypoglycemia in diabetes.Diabetes. 2008; 57: 3169-3176
- Hypoglycemia in type 1 diabetes mellitus.Endocrinol. Metab. Clin. North Am. 2010; 3: 641-654
- Hypoglycemia and diabetes: a report of a workgroup of the American Diabetes Association and the Endocrine Society.Diabetes Care. 2013; 36: 1384-1395
- Fear of hypoglycemia, anxiety, and subjective well-being in parents of children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.J. Health Psychol. 2019; 24: 209-218
- Hypoglycaemia in type 1 diabetes: technological treatments, their limitations and the place of psychology.Diabetologia. 2018; 61: 761-769
- A critical review of the literature on fear of hypoglycemia in diabetes: Implications for diabetes management and patient education.Patient Educ. Couns. 2007; 68: 10-15
- Fear of hypoglycaemia—from normality to pathology. Diagnostic criteria and therapeutic directions.Clin. Diabetol. 2020; 9: 487-492
- Fear of hypoglycemia.J. Diabetes. 2017; 9: 108-110
- Predictive risk factors for fear of hypoglycemia and anxiety-related emotional disorders among adolescents with type 1 diabetes.Med. Princ. Pract. 2015; 24: 222-230
- Correlates of hypoglycemic fear in type I and type II diabetes mellitus.Health Psychol. 1992; 11: 199-202
- GEODE group. Fear of hypoglycaemia in patients with type 1 diabetes: do patients and diabetologists feel the same way?.Diabetes Metab. 2013; 39: 63-70
- 7th Edition of Idf Diabetes Atlas--Call for Immediate Action.Lijec. Vjesn. 2016; 138: 57-58
- The hospital anxiety and depression scale.Health Qual. Life Outcomes. 2003; 1: 29
- Retesting the validity of the Arabic version of the Hospital Anxiety and Depression (HAD) scale in primary health care.Soc. Psychiatry Psychiatr. Epidemiol. 1995; 30: 26-31
- Fear of hypoglycemia in type 1 diabetes managed by continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion: is it associated with poor glycemic control?.Diabetes Technol. Ther. 2011; 13: 93-98
- Health Measurement Scales: A Practical Guide to Their Development and Use.Oxford University Press, USA2014
- The prevalence of depression and anxiety in adults with type 1 diabetes.Diabet. Med. 2006; 23: 1381-1384
- Anxiety and depression symptoms in patients with diabetes.Diabet. Med. 2009; 26: 153-161
- Prevalence of symptoms of depression and anxiety in a diabetes clinic population.Diabet. Med. 2000; 17: 198-202
- Frequency and risk factors of depression in type 1 diabetes in a developing country.J. Pedia Endocrinol. Metab. 2017; 30: 917-922
- Prevalence of comorbid depression is high in out‐patients with Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes mellitus. Results from three out‐patient clinics in the Netherlands.Diabet. Med. 2010; 27: 217-224
- High prevalence of depression, anxiety and stress symptoms among diabetes mellitus patients.Open Psychiatry J. 2011; 5
- Depressed mood is a factor in glycemic control in type 1 diabetes.Psychosom. Med. 2001; 63: 551-555
- Depression is a risk factor for poor glycemic control and retinopathy in African-Americans with type 1 diabetes.Psychosom. Med. 2007; 69: 537-542
- Relationships of diabetes-specific emotional distress, depression, anxiety, and overall well-being with HbA 1c in adult persons with type 1 diabetes.J. Psychosom. Res. 2014; 77: 174-179
- Depression and diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2005; 28: 1904-1909
- Identification of risk factors for suffering fear of hypoglycemia in type 1 Diabetes Mellitus patients.Scand. J. Psychol. 2014; 55: 554-557
Mahabalshetti A.D., Ramdurg S.I., Dhananjaya M. Prevalence of Fear of Hypoglycemic Attack in Patients with Uncontrolled Diabetes Mellitus and Correlation Analysis in Diabetes.
- Psychometric properties of the hypoglycemia fear survey-ii for adults with type 1 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2011; 34: 801-806
- Assessing fear of hypoglycemia among adults with type 1 diabetes–psychometric properties of the Norwegian version of the Hypoglycemia Fear Survey II questionnaire.Nor. Epidemiol. 2013; 23
- Fear of hypoglycaemia in adults with Type 1 diabetes: results from Diabetes MILES–The Netherlands.Diabet. Med. 2015; 32: 1289-1296
- Fear of hypoglycemia: relationship to hypoglycemic risk and psychological factors.Acta Diabetol. 2015; 52: 581-589